What to get for my first Swano release?

Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Dan Swano - 'Moontower'
Nightingale - 'I' or 'Alive Again'
Edge of Sanity - 'Crimson' or 'Pugatory Afterglow'

I can only get one right now. Don't pick any more than two if you absolutely can't decide.

Thanks! :headbang:

if you have Crimson available buy it because I have had a hard time finding it
but I recommend you to buy the Nightingale albums in their respective order and not start directly with the last ones

Originally posted by manuelgv
if you have Crimson available buy it because I have had a hard time finding it
but I recommend you to buy the Nightingale albums in their respective order and not start directly with the last ones

I agree. If you are new to Nightingale, you should buy the albums in order they were released. It is an interesting experience.

Don't forget Analcorpse.

In my opinion, Dans best work is with Nightingale. Take a look at all Nightingale albums,and they are all excellent. My first pick would goto Alive Again,because in my opinion it is just an over all great album. If you heard Nightingale before,then start with the best album (my opinion) which is "Alive Again",and then move down to "Closing Chronicles", followed by "I",then "Breathing Shadow". All great albums,but best in that respective order. If you get the concept of Nightingale in their(Dan/Dag) awesome work,then you will respect the great but not awesome albums like "Breathing Shadow"......

The second pick would have to be "Crimson". Probably one of the greatest metal songs ever,and just an overall great. It doesn't seem like a fourty minute song,but an overall great album. Mix between melodic and growling.

"Moontower" is also up their in my ranks.

But, the definets are "Alive Again" By Nightingale and "Crimson" By Edge of Sanity.

I'd go with Crimson - the one album that never stops to amaze me.

Fireangel: Nice NP-choice. :) May I ask you, where did you find them? I happen to know the singer of the band pretty well, so I'm just curious.

-Villain

@ Villain: Thanks :) I found them through Jerémie-Links in the end of 2001 I think, but never had really time. Now recently they came to my mind again and I downloaded the songs. Painbox rules big time!! I ordered the Label Of Black-Cd from Lumo now (you are not Lumo, aren`t you? ;) and I`m looking forward to have it in two weeks or so....
Well, if you know them so good, you maybe can answer me a question? Is Jules both growling and singing, or "only" doing clean vocals? Cuz if he does both, I wonder how a couple of songs manage to be performed live? I did not find it in their Band-Bio, if any of the other guys is doing background-singing or not... In any case, they are very very good. :) Do you also know Ratas?

Fireangel: Yes, Jules does both the cleans and growls and can switch between them very quickly live - he has an amazing range for such a small guy. But you really need to see them live to hear the proof. I don't remember if any of the other band-members does any vocals live, but DHC (=their "fan-group") certainly echoes many of the lines live - and that is also something you must experience yourself before you get the point. ;)

And no, I'm not Lumo, I barely know the guy by name. I also have heard the name Ratas, but am not familiar with it as of yet.

Anyways, glad to hear you like them! :) I will tell Jules they have one more "fan". :cool:

-Villain

Villain: thank you for explaining. I don`t doubt he can switch between growling and clean, it is just that in "Load of Lead" and some other song I think, they partly have two layers of singing in different styles combined. That sounded very cool, and I was referring to this.
I am sure they do good live shows - I can hear it from the songs already :cool: and yeah, maybe I´ll experience them live someday, as I am in finland sometimes - or they come over here ;)
As far as I know, the guys from the bands Killpretty, Jerémie, Ratas and Profane Omen know each other and there seem to be some other bands in this network, aswell (but I am not informed perfectly ;)
Once I saw Killpretty as support for Charon and SubUrban Tribe at Tammerfest - only two songs, as I came in late, but quite impressing. You might like Ratas (www.ratas.cjb.net) in case you don`t listen to only metal :) Markku is an excellent songwriter.

*LOL* and yes, tell Jules. If I like the latest CD aswell, I might write an article about them, so I would contact him then. :wave:

Fireangel: Yeah, those bands are rather connected - I have been drinking with some guys from Profane Omen and Jeremie once or twice, but Jules is the only guy I really know of 'em (we study at the same school). Oh, and if you are coming to a show by PO in Finland, let me know, okay. ;)

-Villain

Villain: from Jerémie I only know Grande personally. He accompanied me and my friend to a SubUrban Tribe-gig.. and I mailed with AD once I think (not with this nickname btw). But nice to hear my impression about that network was right ;)

I`ll send you a PM about coming to finland ,okay, it is not that public stuff.

Originally posted by fireangel
forgot something: what does "DHC" mean?

Die Hard Crew, if I recall it correctly - just a name for some friends of the band, who tend to shout some lines when they play live.

Oh, and I emailed a reply to you. :)

-Villain