What would a perfect language include?

Thats what drove me crazy about French back in high school. Everything had to be masculine or feminine, like I cared... that and the pronounciation of the language seemed gay... sorry I dont need to "roll" my R's and what ever the fuck it is with the L's.

hhahaah yeah dude !!! That's why I hate french, but all the subjects i study are in french but i don't talk at all :rofl: , one of the reasons i don't like this language is that people use it here as fashion or just to show up lol !

Fenrisúlfr;8266265 said:
Um...no it doesn't. It is in the eye of the beholder.

This response doesn't even make sense.

And while I think the argument can be made that poetry is left open to interpretation, most good poetry has a purpose that the poet seeks to convey; and usually, this purpose should be identifiable by readers.

Fenrisúlfr;8267720 said:
Quite laughable. I could imagine poetry being used in lieu of more direct language in a manual for something nuclear-related.

well, speaking for myself I hardly took his suggestion serious... or any of the others for that matter, our language is what it is and only fools would waste time trying to create a new language to suit their "intellectual" fancy when the world has far more serious problems at hand than a few book worms having moments of confusion.

That's right, only fools would try to solve problems out of sync with razoredge's priorities :mad:

OR a fool would say this ^ My priorities ? So ? Excuse me for looking around the world and not finding some minor complexities of languages to not be a serious challenge worth reprograming the entire population over ?

ya...Ok... gottcha

OR a fool would say this ^ My priorities ? So ? Excuse me for looking around the world and not finding some minor complexities of languages to not be a serious challenge worth reprograming the entire population over ?

ya...Ok... gottcha
No one (except maybe F&F) actually intends to develop a new language, and I doubt even he would be audacious enough to think that it could ever be smoothly intergrated into multiple populations and cultures. There are problems with language though and some of them are actually not just minor inconveniences. Linguistic ambiguity and misunderstandings between communicators are real problems that actually can lead to death in extreme situations. Do you really think it's not worth anyone's time to be concerned about this?

I am doing a synthesized language only to see how well I can make it work out, there is little to no chance it will actually be employed as a universal language.

Linguistic ambiguity and misunderstandings between communicators are real problems that actually can lead to death in extreme situations. Do you really think it's not worth anyone's time to be concerned about this?

I know of no such incidences but could believe "communications" has been blamed for a variety of human errors, absent mindedness and such.

Well, none come to mind in English for me. But in Spanish the "we" conjugation in the preterite and in the present tense for verbs is the exact same. In an extreme situation it could be confused if people were currently doing something or did something.

I think a perfect language would have to be less complex. I don't like the idea of multiple pronouns for we or you plural. This is uneccesary and makes it more difficult to learn. It would have to completely get rid of the gender articles and other unnecessary things. A perfect language should be spoken exactly as written with no ambiguity, should have an efficient alphabet and writing system with a minimal amount of letters. Also it should have syllable stress that is not different for each word. Of course it should have no irregular verbs and no random rules for different tenses.

I think the closest thing to a perfect language is Esperanto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructed_language

The vagaries of language are the source of many problems and inefficiencies in the world, probably the source of some of its more aesthetically pleasurable elements too. There are good reasons why consideration of improvements to how we communicate is useful :) I am glad not everyone is as low minded as yourself Razor.

Well, let's take finnish just for an example:

It's read as it's written. No intonations.
You can express something that you need a sentence in english with one word in finnish. (It has it's downsides too.)
No gender articles, masculine or feminine at all. Only one word for he/she.

The grammatical cases are bad though, they're hard to learn. Otherwise it's quite a piece of cake with no ambiguity or other problems. :)

Well, let's take finnish just for an example:

It's read as it's written. No intonations.
You can express something that you need a sentence in english with one word in finnish. (It has it's downsides too.)
No gender articles, masculine or feminine at all. Only one word for he/she.

The grammatical cases are bad though, they're hard to learn. Otherwise it's quite a piece of cake with no ambiguity or other problems. :)

I have recently started a Finnish self-study course online. I agree there are some parts of the language that are very practical. As you said though, the grammatical cases are very complex, also some words are very similar and can be easily mistaken.

I think Finnish and Hungarian are usually considered the most difficult non-Asian languages to learn (they come from the same language branch). Czech has seven cases to the 21 (I think) of Finnish. That has got to be a pain in the arse.