What's everybody's favorte old school black and death metal bands?

Death Opeth

Jan 18, 2003
Pennsylvania
For me, it would be the following..

Old School Death
Bloodbath (DURH!)
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Grave
Suffocation

Black Metal
Emperor
Bathory (Pre-Hammerheart)

Also, could some of you guys rcommend some good old school black metal with some cool keyboards like Emperor. Thanks guys.

Post yours... please

Death:
Grave
EoS (if they count as "old-school")
Bloodbath
Entombed

Black (but isn't the real old-school black Venom, Mercyful Fate etc ;) ):
Darkthrone
Burzum

I must be getting old, but Burzum OLD school? :) I'd say like Mercyful Fate and Venom, but as Venom are a bunch of wankers who never made one decent song, and Mercyful Fate are somehow *more* than black... I dunno! Celtic Frost a la "Cold Lake" days? *mohahaha*

Fave old death: MORBID ANGEL (guess nobody who knows me would doubt I'd say that :)) and Death.

How about old school DOOM? Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Cathedral, Winter!

Winter's coming up and that feels bloody marvellous... my time of the year! And to go with that we need DOOM, a cup of tea and a comfy sofa. (Yeah, the days of sleeping in graveyards just for the fun of it is over, I'm afraid ;))

Embla said:
I must be getting old, but Burzum OLD school? :) I'd say like Mercyful Fate and Venom, but as Venom are a bunch of wankers who never made one decent song, and Mercyful Fate are somehow *more* than black... I dunno! Celtic Frost a la "Cold Lake" days? *mohahaha*

Fave old death: MORBID ANGEL (guess nobody who knows me would doubt I'd say that :)) and Death.

Winter's coming up and that feels bloody marvellous... my time of the year! And to go with that we need DOOM, a cup of tea and a comfy sofa. (Yeah, the days of sleeping in graveyards just for the fun of it is over, I'm afraid ;))

Hello. I've been away for a very long while since i don't have connection to internet anymore (i'm at my university ;) )
now, what about that phrase "venom never made a decent song" ?
i'm not very into oldschool shit but i have to say that venom is one of the greatest metal bands ever!!! all their songs rule!!
now, my faves are in death metal: certainly: MORBID ANGEL
but i guess you can't name Edge Of Sanity and Bloodbath old school's. I think that Edge Of Sanity makes a very very modern sound of death metal, because, in my short years of existence, i know that oldschooldeathmetal must be rough, not melodic, filthy and disgusting... i guess Edge Of Sanity is more in the side of melodic riffs and stuff, i like it, but it's not old school.
Bloodbath for me is not old school, i guess Breeding Death was pretty close to what deathmetalelders made in the 80s but the production of RTC is very far away from oldschool sound. I have to say that i was very disappointed with RTC's production, since i'm a very big fan of bloodbath, but the production made bloodbath look more like a typical-death-swedish-band. I guess that's my opinion and no one else could share it, but it's my opinion.
and by the way, CRIMSON II is the best album of the 2003!!!
rock on dudes and see you soon!

Embla said:

Bah! My first Death metal album was Dan's fucking Unorthodox! And first BM album was selftitled Burzum. Its why I called them as my favs. Ofcourse I heard Morbid Angel and Venom before, but never was into their music. Especially with Venom cos their awful and ungly faces.
..and if talk about DOOOM! So u are closest person to one guy, Esa, so poke it and force to work over new Odyssey

ColdDarkNord said:
Bah! My first Death metal album was Dan's fucking Unorthodox! And first BM album was selftitled Burzum. Its why I called them as my favs. Ofcourse I heard Morbid Angel and Venom before, but never was into their music. Especially with Venom cos their awful and ungly faces.
Ahem, I didn't actually mean to _offend_ anybody :) I think Venom stinks, but I'm sure people think *I* stink when I play "Ea, Lord of the deeps" at inhumane volumes, just to hear the wonderfully different-sounding bass-drums *hehe* I guess it's just me not being in sync with time and the merciless march of it... suppose if an album was released in 1990, it's verging on *ancient* as it is 2003 now... Speaking of Ancient, they were a fairly crappy band as well. *ducks*

ColdDarkNord said:
..and if talk about DOOOM! So u are closest person to one guy, Esa, so poke it and force to work over new Odyssey
Hehe, I shall certainly "poke it" and whine for an Odyssey album... I mean, anything so I don't have to see his ugly face out here... back in the studio room with you and make some music, boy! *sniff* No, really, I dig the stuff he does, but it is rather nice to see him now and again ;)

for old-school death: Demilich (hands down the best band EVER that only put out one CD), Entombed (Clandestine and Left Hand Path), Furbowl, Death, Blasphemy, Vader.. many others that I can't think of...

for old-school black: Beherit, Kreator (Perhaps they don't count.. more thrash than black), Sabbat, Barathrum...

how about just some good, ol' heavy metal: Manilla Road, Mercyful Fate, Pentagram, Black Sabbath...

Embla said:
Ahem, I didn't actually mean to _offend_ anybody :)

Ofcourse you didn't!
...and Im agree: Venom sucks.
Anyway I prefer Argentum instead Infestdead nowadays! ;)

....never gonna run awaaay
lalala.gif

ColdDarkNord said:
Ofcourse you didn't!
...and Im agree: Venom sucks.
Anyway I prefer Argentum instead Infestdead nowadays! ;)

Yeah, Argentum rules. :)
Some Death Metal bands I really like are
Death (Human, Spiritual Healing)
Hetsheads (it's so old school)
Hypocrisy (First 2 Albums because of the singer)
First Deicide
2nd Gorefest

Black Metal is more difficult
The more melodic stuff like
Emperor (Anthems..)
Borknagar (Olden Domain, if it's BlackMetal)
Ulver

I consider the Unorthodox era EOS old school death metal in the way that it uses the American style death metal as its backbone and injects Dan's melodic style in it. Anyway some old school death metal bands I like are Death, Suffocation, Cynic, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Atheist, Entombed, Grave, Bloodbath, etc.

As for black metal, which I am less interested in, I dig Ulver - Bergtatt, early Katatonia if it counts, Agalloch, Anthems era Emperor, etc. Though I wouldn't really call any of them "my favourite" bands, except Ulver's Bergtatt album. Never been much of a black metal fan.