What's everyone think of Devin Townsend Band opening the US tour ?

If you want a rough idea of the song's DTB are gonna play.......this was the setlist for the Edmonton, Alberta show....
Seventh Wave (Ocean Machine)
Storm (Accelerated Evolution)
Earth Day (Terria)
Truth (Infinity)
Regulator (Ocean Machine)
Deadhead (Accelerated Evolution)
Away/Deep Peace (AE/Terria)
Bad Devil (Infinity)

Anyone who has'nt heard DTB or who wants to know what they are like live should try and download these songs to get an idea of what your going to hear. For the record I think this is going to be the best tour (S-X and DTB) of 2003 other than "The Keep it in the Family Tour" which had Strapping Young Lad and DTB touring together. I'm making the Farmingdale show....can't wait ! Hope this is some help for the people who don't know much about DTB.

all4dametal said:
If you want a rough idea of the song's DTB are gonna play.......this was the setlist for the Edmonton, Alberta show....
Seventh Wave (Ocean Machine)
Storm (Accelerated Evolution)
Earth Day (Terria)
Truth (Infinity)
Regulator (Ocean Machine)
Deadhead (Accelerated Evolution)
Away/Deep Peace (AE/Terria)
Bad Devil (Infinity)

Anyone who has'nt heard DTB or who wants to know what they are like live should try and download these songs to get an idea of what your going to hear. For the record I think this is going to be the best tour (S-X and DTB) of 2003 other than "The Keep it in the Family Tour" which had Strapping Young Lad and DTB touring together. I'm making the Farmingdale show....can't wait ! Hope this is some help for the people who don't know much about DTB.
I love Devin... but I must admit... he pretty much picked all my least favorite songs from his albums! I hate that setlist!

Demonspell said:
I have to respectfully disagree, I think that setlist is awesome. The only song I could do without would be Truth, which nonetheless serves as the perfect introduction to the cacophony that is Infinity.
I know "Earth Day" is probably Devin's most popular song ever... but I really don't like that song anymore. I'd really prefer the last 3 songs on "Terria"... but perhaps they're not good live songs. I think "Storm" is pretty weak until the end... and I don't like "Away" at all (though I'm aware you're a fan of it)

Demonspell said:
I have to respectfully disagree, I think that setlist is awesome. The only song I could do without would be Truth, which nonetheless serves as the perfect introduction to the cacophony that is Infinity.
agreed.

the song "Bad Devil" is just awesome! :D

ProgMetalFan said:
I know "Earth Day" is probably Devin's most popular song ever... but I really don't like that song anymore. I'd really prefer the last 3 songs on "Terria"... but perhaps they're not good live songs. I think "Storm" is pretty weak until the end... and I don't like "Away" at all (though I'm aware you're a fan of it)

I like dream theater and most of progressive legends like IQ, but I can't dig bands that masturbates on their guitar anymore...It's silly
Dev can do whatever he wants musically. He doesn't lock himself in one style of music and the diversity is something good for the creative side of the artist.

"Storm" is not pretty weak, you're wrong, just different from the rest of his discography and "away" is one of the best song he wrote. There's emotion in his music and in his solos, it's not demonstration only if you know what I mean.

Symphony x is a good "progressive band" but I'm not sure that it's a real stage band with a real frontman :loco:

Geoff

I downloaded a few songs, but my main exposure to Devin Townsend was his performance at Prog Power last year. I thought it was awful and haven't listened to any of his material since. Maybe this time the set will be different and the songs will be more to my liking.

Although he can do a lot with his voice, I found I was much more attentive when he wasn't singing. He's a pretty good instrumental player and he can come up with many great sounds and tones in that vein; that's what he does best and that's what he should stick to.

oldlyonfreak said:
I like dream theater and most of progressive legends like IQ, but I can't dig bands that masturbates on their guitar anymore...It's silly
Dev can do whatever he wants musically. He doesn't lock himself in one style of music and the diversity is something good for the creative side of the artist.

"Storm" is not pretty weak, you're wrong, just different from the rest of his discography and "away" is one of the best song he wrote. There's emotion in his music and in his solos, it's not demonstration only if you know what I mean.

Symphony x is a good "progressive band" but I'm not sure that it's a real stage band with a real frontman :loco:

Geoff
Wrong

I went to the Farmingdale, NY gig this Wednesday. I have only been listening to DTB for about 3 weeks, but it's getting better and better on me. Amazing stuff. And SYL just rips! Anyway, I was kinda curious how DTB would be live, and they were awesome! I think the set list was the same as posted here. I have not heard Ocean Machine, so there was a couple of songs I didn't know. The crowd was really cold at first... When Devin showed up on stage for the sound check, there was no crowd reaction at all, that was kinda weird... But I think after he pulled off an amazing Away/Deep Peace, he pretty much own the crowd after that. He turned out a much better guitar player then I thought!

But you definitley want to hear his stuff before going to the show. It's really weird on first listen, takes a bit to get into.

-GK

Personally I just heard of Devin and well... I don't think he's as good as SX. But they're still good. I think the best mach up would be Vandenplas Symphony X and Fates Warning. That would rule!

Guardian of Fire

Guardian of Fire said:
Personally I just heard of Devin and well... I don't think he's as good as SX. But they're still good. I think the best mach up would be Vandenplas Symphony X and Fates Warning. That would rule!

Guardian of Fire

Personally I think a Rage/SyX tour would destroy....but I'll stop dreaming before it makes me crawl into a corner and cry because I know such a killer show would never happen, especially in such an anti metal country as the US... :(