What's everyone's opinion on Iced Earth's "Gettysburg 1863"?

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
I personally can't stop listening to this song. I saw them play it live, and it was amazing (not nearly as good as when Symphony X did The Odyssey, but I didn't expect that performance to ever be outdone).

But Gettysburg is still an amazing tune. I think the section between 8:51 and 9:20 in Part III is just kickass!

I like the Gettysburg trilogy almost as much as the Something Wicked trilogy. I just like Matt Barlow better, and I wonder what the Gettysburg trilogy would be like if he sang it. After reading what you all have to say about it live, I can't wait to see them this Sunday! I'm dying to know how the Ripper sounds on all the old tracks.

Odyssey > Gettysburg

At first I didnt really like Tim, since I never thought anyone could come close to sounding like Matt. (and im not much of a Priest fan) but after listening to the CD and checking out the video on Uranium, I really dont think they could have found a better singer than Tim he sounds great with Schaffer. The only thing that I didnt really care for was the whole 9:11 theme..other than that the album is great..

lunar still X said:
DWOT > Odyssey > Gettysburg

I agree.

Anyway, what I loved about Gettysburg live was that Schaffer wore a Confederate jacket and played a Les Paul with the Confederate flag pattern on it, while the lead guitarist (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name) did the same, only with the Union theme. Those guitars were awesome!

MorphineChild205 said:
I agree.

Anyway, what I loved about Gettysburg live was that Schaffer wore a Confederate jacket and played a Les Paul with the Confederate flag pattern on it, while the lead guitarist (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name) did the same, only with the Union theme. Those guitars were awesome!

Yeah that was sweet! I am into war history so I enjoyed that alot. Gettysburg itself is amazing live too! :headbang:

its goos, but the something wicked trilogy is still better in m opinion

but maybe tonight will change my mind with them playing metlfest and all
two hour sets baby right after COB

At first I didn't really like it, but mainly because I was too lazy to take out disc one and listen to disc two. But after seeing it live last night, I'll have to give it a few more generous listens. It's a f-ing kick-ass song.

It's really the only song I like on the new album, unfortunately. A lot of the other stuff sounds very glam.

Dante's Inferno is still my favorite Iced Earth song.

I got bored really fast. The rest of the album is too boring to give me the motivation to listen to the trilogy....

TGB as an album sucked, I hate Owens with a passion after that album.

I never got into Getteysburg, I gave it a few good listens, and it didnt do much for me.

DWOT > Karn Evil no.9 > Odyssey > When the water Breaks > Dantes inferno (even though not an "epic" kicks major ass > Getteysburg

If all Iced Earth released in 2004 was the Gettysburg trilogy, it would be my disc of the year. Add some great songs like "Declaration Day", "The Reckoning" and "Attilla" and I'll be shocked if anying released this year even comes close for me.

Zod