What's in a haul

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
well... I thougt I'd stay away from buying albums for a bit, or at least until after christmas, but as usual, I broke down and got a few new ones between ProgPower and now.... The wife is not amused! :tickled:

ZEBRA - IV
AT VANCE - The Evil In You (Ltd. Ed.)
DUKE - Escape From Reality
HIGHLAND GLORY - From the Cradle to the Brave
PAIN OF SALVATION - One Hour By the Concrete Lake
MISSA MERCURIA - s/t
STEVE HACKETT - To Watch The Storms (Ltd. Ed.)
BRAINSTORM - Soul Temptation (Ltd. Ed. w/ Live DVD)
IRON MAIDEN - Dance of Death
JOHN WETTON - Caught in the Crossfire
JOHN WETTON - Archangel
NEVERMORE - Enemies of Reality (ltd. Ed.)
UDO - Mean Machine

\m/
Dustin

So far the albums that are really standing out for me right now are the PAIN OF SALVATION, BRAINSTORM and STEVE HACKETT albums.

I'm a really late bloomer on Pain of Salvation, I really couldn't get into their music for the longest time... but I finally broke down and bought an album and decided to sit through it... and it was very rewarding. I plan on getting all of their albums now. :cool:

This new Brainstorm is their best yet... the songs are much stronger and they've slowed it down a bit. I'm extremley impressed with this album.

The new Steve Hackett album is by far the most "colorful" album in the haul... it bounces all over the place, Jazz, Classicle, Progressive and even a blues ditty that would make Muddy Waters smile. It's as if almost every song is it's own genre. It goes to show Steve is not only a great guitarist but a creative songwritter and musician.

I'm still on the fence with AT VANCE. It's actually quite good, and I LOVE the production, but there is only a few songs that are sticking out.

I had to grab the DUKE album since it has ex-SCANNER vocalist Haridon Lee on it... I totally dig his vocals! Not to mention Assy from ANGEL DUST's sister is the drummer, talk about a small world! The HIGHLAND GLORY album was a must ever since I heard their song for the Running Wild tribute album. The new singer is very simalar to Mike Vesera... Loudness fans will dig this album just for that alone. It's a pretty good metal album, but I'm still trying to explore it a bit.

The John Wetton Albums... what can I say here, I'm a HUGE Asia fan so...these are manditory. I love his songwirting and vocals, needless to say he was oen of my early influnces to pick up the bass guitar. This also goes for the ZEBRA album... I'm a big Zebra fan and had to pick it up, it's classic material, as if there was never was 16 years between this album and the last one. Thats right, 16 years between studio albums!

The Missa Mercuria album is fantastic... I've heard it a hundred times from the wife, but had to get my own copy so I could listen to on my own time. :loco:

The UDO album was purchased to help complete my collection of UDO albums.... I only have "No Limits" left to go and then I'll have em' all! This one is by far one of the better ones...next to "Faceless World", "Animal House" and "Holy".

.... I'm on the fence with the new NEVERMORE. Everyone seems to be bitching about the production, but I don't hear anything wrong with that at all.... I think Kelly did a great job on producing it. For me it's the songs. There just doesn't seem to be anything that sticks out on this one as far as melodies.... all the songs being "chunka-chunka" and the guitars tuned down to "C" takes away form the actual textures of the true heaviness to what could be a great album and everything seems to bleed together on the first few listens. I need to spin it a few more times....

Believe it or not, the new Iron Maiden is really growing on me... it seems to be a really great album the more you let things sink in. "Montsegur" is the best song by far... classic Maiden in my opinon! And yes... this one was actually purchased at progpower, no thanks to you though! :p It was great we got to hear it a few days before everyone else!

\m/
Dustin

Good write-ups, as always. :)

Dustin said:
Believe it or not, the new Iron Maiden is really growing on me... it seems to be a really great album the more you let things sink in. "Montsegur" is the best song by far... classic Maiden in my opinon! And yes... this one was actually purchased at progpower, no thanks to you though! :p It was great we got to hear it a few days before everyone else!
A lot of it's grown on me, too. And it's the first Maiden album since 'Powerslave' where my favourite song is one of the shorter ones - in this case, 'Rainmaker'. Other standouts are 'Montsegur' (good call); 'New Frontier' (Nicko's first songwriting credit!); 'Face In The Sand' (verrrry atmospheric intro); 'Age Of Innocence' (the odd clumsy lyric aside); and 'Journeyman' (something very new for them to try doing) - but it's also the first Maiden album since (and prior to, really - it's just these two) 'Fear Of The Dark' that has songs on it that are staring to scrape the boundaries of 'bearable'. Seriously, what 'Arry and Jan were on when they cooked up the title track, I don't know; and on refelection, 'Wildest Dreams' is the most vapid Maiden song since 'Hooks In You'. Seriously, '2am' (from the much-maligned 'The X Factor') had more depth than this. Well, okay, it never reaches the all-time low that for me was 'The Assassin'... thank God.

Overall, it's a little patchy, but it has some fantastic moments that really help lift the rest of it. I really can't get enough of the utterly fabulous 'Rainmaker'... :)

Demonspell said:
I agree that Wildest Dreams is dangerously lacking in substance...no wonder they're putting out the next single so quickly.
Yo, Demonspell, what's goin' on? :)

Long time no type. ;)

Yeah, and it's a bloody good job that the next single is 'Rainmaker', a song that actually has some substance, not to mention probably the album's best chorus. Also, well done to the boys on getting the 'DOD' album straight in at number 2 in the UK charts - that's their best placing for an album in eleven years! But I'm a little dismayed by the lack of mention of a US leg of the 'DOD' tour... what up wit' that? :(

Having been a huge huge huge Maiden fan while growing up (at one point, I had over 150 Maiden disc's) I have grown really bored with them over the past 6-7 years. The last two albums have done nothing for me. I actually prefer the X Factor to the stuff they've done since Bruce came back.
I have to say, I was really bummed when I heard that Bruce was back. My immediate reaction was, "They are doing it for the cash."
Now this is just my opinion, so don't everyone freak out......>=)

Not going to freak out, to each his own, but I just wanted to say I actually really like 'The X Factor'. It kinda stands apart as its own thing. Blaze has bettered it, Maiden have bettered it, but it almost seems like a combined side-project record at times... something a bit different.

And 'Sign Of The Cross' is the best Maiden song of the '90s, IMO. :)

Ruined Luna said:
Not going to freak out, to each his own, but I just wanted to say I actually really like 'The X Factor'. It kinda stands apart as its own thing. Blaze has bettered it, Maiden have bettered it, but it almost seems like a combined side-project record at times... something a bit different.

And 'Sign Of The Cross' is the best Maiden song of the '90s, IMO. :)

GASP! THOU FIEND!

The Clansman is the best (when sung by Bruce).

As for the newalbum, I love it. Yes Wildest is a bit weak, but then again, it's not like Tailgunner was the greatest song ever either. When you add in the set list from the tour, they picked the cream of the crop from the new album. Pitty they left off Alexander YET FECKING AGAIN. Oh well..

Now let's just hope all these rumors are unfounded, that it *WAS* a typo and they will be back in the states come spring. Ruined, any input?

-HobbesDawg

None as yet. Keeping my eyes peeled (ouch).

And 'Wildest...' is at least better than 'The Assassin'... but then, the wife yelling at me for not doing something is better than 'The Assassin'...