what's making me happy 6/24/03 by greg massi

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
1. "You Learn About It" by the Gathering.

I can only think of one other song that has made me this happy in a while and that other song is A Pitcher of Summer off the Kayo Dot album.

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

With everything else awry and hectic in my life these days it is nice to have some nice music and the new Harry Potter book to kind of give me some relief.

I found the gathering's "if_then_else" kinda mediocre and it made me forget about the band for awhile, but man that new record is oh so good. I've been listening to that a bunch, too. Even if the missus makes of me for being such a mellow old sod.

my mom's birthday was the day before it came out, so i picked it up for her. but something tells me you'll have better luck borrowing greg's than hers. not that she's mean, she just doesn't share well. plus i guess greg's closer- that could have something to do w/ it.

avi from one mellow sod to another the album is great imo although i listen to it mostly at work and not much else besides a few tracks have really sunk in.

Alex I am almost 200 pages into the book(i am a slow reader) but when i am finished you are more than welcome to borrow it. it fucking rules my world so far.

Aye, the new gathering makes me swoon... I have bought like 2000000000000 records in the last 2 weeks and that one has pretty much owned the player... (along with the new Sonata Arctica.. go cheese.. go..)

The new Gathering is indeed excellent, but its a bit too light of fare for me in many of my moods. I find myself listening to six newer albums even though I have many more that I have recently obtained. Those six are as follows:
Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (best album of the year so far)
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Poison the Well - You Come Before You
Underoath - I forget the title but it's their latest
and
HIM - Love Metal

Baliset said:
i myself am in a light fare mood as of late. it gives me some welcome relief from working on dense heavy music all week long.

I know what that's like. Well... not the working on dense heavy music part but the needing light fare for a while part. And The Gathering definitely hit the spot when that type of music is needed...

I've liked every one since Mandylion, except for the follow up which is called Nighttime Birds or something like that and I have never heard that one. But How to Measure a Planet? is grand except the title track is a bit boring and if_then_else was an excellent album in my opinion. I rather like The Gathering, but they're not one of my favorite bands. I listen to their albums from time to time, but not compulsively.

man, on that new gathering, i swear- the vocal melodies she comes up with are amazing. well, whoever comes up with them. seriously, fusoya, give it a couple more listens- the programming and stuff may not grab me, but the melodies are great.

seems like the programming on most metal-hybrid albums is almost always like 2 years behind the times. oh-well.

but yeah, there's lots of cool, subtle stuff in the recording on Souvenirs. Even if you don't dig the music, there's some good layering ideas going on worth noting.