what's the best Preamp/processors for metal?

Aug 30, 2003
Säffle, Sweden
www.draconian.se
can someone help me, i´m looking for a really good preamp/processor for my guitar recording without using an amp. The best one to use by just plug into my computer soundcard. it´s metal all the way. I´ve only tried the rocktron chameleon and it´s ok, but are there any alternatives that´s better?

Rocktron Prophecy
Line 6 PODxt with Metal packs
Tone Lab
Mesa Boogie Recording Preamp
Marshall JMP-1

Herman_theGerman said:
thanks, but i don´think i´ll try the v-amp or the pod, i don´t like the sound coming out of them. don´t digitech have a good preamp for metal?
Digitech is ok. I have one of their GNX4s, but I use it primarily because of it's recording capabilities as far as "on the go" to catch riffs I create and might forget and the PC recording aspect. For serious recording, I mic a tube amp. You can go solid state/digital for stuff like thrashy rythms and it sounds pretty good, but for clean stuff or solos, I personally need the warmth of the tube sound. I would look into tube pre-amps. Carvin, Peavey, Marshall, and Mesa offer them I think.

Bryant

If you have a lot of patience i'd say a Boss Gt-6, for some reason it wasn't mentioned yet. I prefer it over any POD, including the XT, and the V-amp....for direct recording and live. Cheaper option too, since the best way to do it live is just straight into powered speakers. No power amp or rack .

If not, yeah Marshall JMP-1, Mesa, maybe a PSA-1..not tube but TONS of gain, seriously, more than anyone needs. I didn't like Carvin at all for high gain. V-amps aren't bad, middle of the road really.

Johnson doesn't actually make the j-station anymore, but there are usually a few for sale on ebay. I bought one there for $100 and i love it. IMHO, it has a much better low end sound than the pod or v-amp. I think that the pod and v-amp sound really thin if you play them in a live set up. J-station sounds great in headphones as well as amplified. Another cool thing about it is that it emulates bass rigs as well as guitar.

Boss's gt-6 is a great piece of equipment, but that's gonna set you back closer to $350. This is what Opeth use for their live performances.