Difference of guitar-di and guitar-preamp

lumpong_bayag

Bouncer
May 8, 2007
After 3 months my ultra di is not working anymore,im recording our new demo rock-metal genre.
what is the differnce recording guitar->DI->soundcard and Guitar->guitar preamp->Soundcard?
im using fender strat w/ the original pick-up of it,is it ok to record guirar->preamp.
i really can't hear the differnce of it,is there an album or sample song recorded in guitar->preamp?:cry:

it depends on the structure of the pre amp. but the difference could be a different sound since the preamp has its own. even if u play clean its probably not the raw guitar signal. but as long as it sounds good....go ahead.

kalony

After 3 months my ultra di is not working anymore,im recording our new demo rock-metal genre.
what is the differnce recording guitar->DI->soundcard and Guitar->guitar preamp->Soundcard?
im using fender strat w/ the original pick-up of it,is it ok to record guirar->preamp.
i really can't hear the differnce of it,is there an album or sample song recorded in guitar->preamp?:cry:

guitar->DI->soundcard hmm with passive pickups and no preamp = signal too low = you are most probably losing dynamic range and signal to noise ratio is not very good

It is ok to record Guitar->guitar preamp->Soundcard (no DI) if the guitar preamp has 1Megaohm or more input impedance.

I've recorded Guitar->guitar preamp->Soundcard a while ago and it sure sounded better then my POD XT Pro direct out. You've only got to be carefull for coloration of the sound by the pre-amp, like Kalony said.

DI: Direct Input/Inject; a device that will take a high impedance -10dB connection and convert it to a low impedance +4dB line level (professional) signal.

By preamp, I'm assuming the OP meant a guitar preamp which is -10dB, like all other guitar gear, excepting rack effects which are a +4db line signal meant to be used in effects loops.

Thanks for the tips guys...
im planning to buy a m-audio fast track and ultra DI 100,do I still need a preamp?
and about active ultra DI 100,is this ok to use since im using a passive pick up?
im really confuse about passive and active....

You should really read that thread i put a link to earlier...

ALL 14 pages of it !

It is about getting a proper signal from your guitar to your computer.

Active DI works good with both active and passive pickups.