reamping - issues, questions, again!!!

the only balanced cable that should be used in a reamping situation is the XLR cable coming frofm the console/interface and into the input of the reamp.... all other cables, guitar cable and any patch cables between stomp boxes, should be normal instrument cable.

yes blood, thats what i meant. lol. still cant believe youv seen the boosh!! you seen nathan barley yet?
bare allow

yes blood, thats what i meant. lol. still cant believe youv seen the boosh!! you seen nathan barley yet?
bare allow
boosh3.jpg

Thanks for the pics, GuitarHack, and the explanation. Your waveforms look like the DI tracks I recorded at the other studio.
I did some more experimenting with those DI tracks (also reamping back into the DI box for level check... just as if it was the original guitar signal) and now I finally got my levels where I want them.

So I ordered my Focusrite Saffire interface yesterday and am looking forward to tracking guitars soon.

Thank you all for chiming in!

.... (also reamping back into the DI box for level check... just as if it was the original guitar signal) and now I finally got my levels where I want them.

What kind of difference was there in level between the DI and the Reamped DI?

hey hack,

thanks for you response, but if i understood your post correctly, you have rerecorded the di track dry - right??

that's not what i meant - but maybe shows the same loss in gain coming out of the converter.

i had a difference in gain going into the amp between the original guitar (through the di box) and the reamped guitar (through the x-amp).

i thought that the signal must (should)be the same, bit it's not - in my case!

and now i'd like to know, if you guys are in the same situation and everything is fine with my setup!!!!

please make this clear for me:

can you have the same amount of gain coming out of the reamp device as connecting a guitar direct???????

my answer is - no, i can't !!!

Alex, I am confused. :loco: My response was in regards to this question (Bold/italic/underlined in the immediately above quote).

I am assuming your problem is:

Guitar-->Amp, Amp see's your Guitar-level Signal.
X-amp-->Amp, Amp see's LOWER than Guitar-level Signal.

My example is relating to this idea. Disreguard the figure of -4.6 as the level in the DAW and think of it as the Guitar's actual level going into the amp. Call this the "Guitar-level Signal" as in the above (Guitar-->Amp).

Now with the fader as close to Zero as possible the Level was -7.8. Since we disreguarded the -4.6 above, therefore we get -3.2 (-7.8 - -4.6 = -3.2). Therefore the X-amps output level is -3.2 below the Guitar's DI level in this example.

So we now have:

Guitar-->Amp = Guitar-level Signal.
X-amp-->Amp = Guitar-level Signal -3.6.

So, NO, I can NOT have the same amount of gain coming out of the reamp device as connecting a guitar direct. This is the closest I could get the difference without clipping the DI track by raising the fader too high. The 808 takes care of this though if you adjust the Balance (Level) knob above around the mid-way mark and most folks here use a boost of somekind anyway so it doesn't really pose a problem.

MAYBE. :p

thanks hack,

now we have two votes for " no - i can't have the same amount of gain coming out of my reamp box as connecting a guitar direct !!!"

so, everything might be right (hope so!!) with my setup, cause it sounds like a guitar, i don't have any hum or noise - just not that much gain as a direct guitar and for that reason it sounds a bit like there is less highs and less meat compared to the original amp settings for a direct guitar.

anybody else?? - maybe a "yes - i have enough gain for the rest of you" :)

cheers,

alex