what's the deal with Periphery?

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
sorry for waking up so late, but iv'e just heard the Periphery album and like everyone knows it sounds amazing!

so now i'm wondering what's the deal with those guys?
what's all the hype about? how the fuck do they sound so good?!
and how the hell do you get that crystal clear sound?!

The reason they are so good:

Incandescent-Bulb-22214756741.jpg

That album ruined my music listening experience for about a month. I literally could not listen to any other album and not be bored. Luckily I have recovered and can continue listening to both Periphery AND other bands. Whew...

Personally, I enjoy Bulb/Misha's solo stuff a lot more without the addition of vocals. It's so intense and progressive in a sense that it keeps me busy paying attention to what the hell he's playing that vocals only distract from some of his genius guitar playing. I prefer listening to the 2nd all instrumental cd of Periphery's album just to hear Bulb's songs with better production.

That album ruined my music listening experience for about a month. I literally could not listen to any other album and not be bored. Luckily I have recovered and can continue listening to both Periphery AND other bands. Whew...

that's what "Ashes Of The Wake" did to me...

iv'e gotta say i don't really like the music itself.
it's too intensive and after a while it gives me a headache,
don't like technical stuff...

but the sound is amaaaaaaaaaazing!

yeah, periphery's sound is incredible.

my opinion: what makes them so great is the melodic/ambient backing guitars.

ordinarily i would be annoyed with such a dense mix... but i feel like those guitars have something that no one else has. (mystery guitar sauce).

I like the Periphery album, but geezus, I'm seriously not hearing this amazing production.
No, it doesn't sound terrible by any means, but it's quite evident it's a home job though.
As for the music, my three favorite tracks off the album are "Jetpack was Yes!" "Racecar" and "Letter Experiment"
But overall, it's definitely a highly creative album. So great to hear a progressive metal album that actually sounds fresh, rather than another one of those run of the mill Dream Theater/Symphony X clone bands.

Personally, I enjoy Bulb/Misha's solo stuff a lot more without the addition of vocals. It's so intense and progressive in a sense that it keeps me busy paying attention to what the hell he's playing that vocals only distract from some of his genius guitar playing. I prefer listening to the 2nd all instrumental cd of Periphery's album just to hear Bulb's songs with better production.

+111111

Except I don't listen to the album, ever.

I can understand how some people might prefer the instrumental versions, but damn, I vastly prefer "Jetpack was Yes" with the vocals. It's just such a vocally driven stuff and when I listen to the instrumental version, it loses a lot of power for me. And "Racecar", just that "I see light in your eyesssssssssssssssss!" bit just totally elevates the song to a new level for me.
"All New Materials" was the song I think that should have stayed an instrumental.
Once it gets to that riff at about 50 seconds, the song just starts to sound too busy for vocals.

Looking at it from a guitar players standpoint I see what a lot of you mean about the instrumental versions, but listening to it as a WHOLE as just a person who enjoy music vs a musician I think the whole package was overall pretty damn good.