What's the general consensus on this board on the Funeral Portrait?

raaargh

New Metal Member
Apr 21, 2008
Is is popular? I don't see it mentioned very much which is sad because I think it's one of their best and would love to see them crack it out on tour this year...

Great song. Grooves pretty much all the way through, which isn't very common in their songs. The main riff kicks ass and it has two of Opeth's tastiest riffs from 1:16 - 2:32.

one of the most gratifying and thrilling songs in their entire catalog - that mounting acoustic mantra exploding into a bouncy succession of monster riff after monster riff, and each one tops the next, making you crank the volume higher and higher. awesome.

love this song, one of my top 5 Opeth tracks of all-time (been listening since just before MAYH was released).

Dirge For November and The Funeral Portrait were my least favourite on Blackwater Park (not including Patterns in the Ivy) because DfN wasn't progressive enough for my liking and I wasn't a fan of the first heavy riff of tFP (it just put me off). However as time went on I realised DfN is supposed to be doomy and unlike the rest of the album, with the beginning and end sections being amongst the most beautiful Opeth has written. I am a fan of both at this time but I prefer SL songs (for example) because the album flows so well. SL is a great album, whereas Blackwater Park has great songs.

It's one of my top ten Opeth songs. It's the best one to start off with, when driving somewhere.

I personally love the track, but its definately not among my fav opeth tunes. That said it really fits into blackwater park as a whole album better than as a single track. Fits in with the whole feel of the album i find personally

The first song I ever heard by Opeth, and a great one at that. But, if you're first introducing someone to Opeth, I would not recommend playing them Funeral Portrait.