The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait

the leper affinity to me, is structured perfectly, when i listen to it, every direction i want it to go, it goes there, perfect melodic progressions capped at the end with a magnificent breakdown and some evil piano, i love it all

Originally posted by shivering corpse
To me, these songs don't get enough credit.

One of the best opeth moments, to me, is the part in the leper affinity..."deafening shrieks pierced the niiiiiiight! ooah!"
i love that part so much

but even more, The Funeral Portrait. I never see anyone talk about this song. I'm not saying it's the best Opeth song, but I think it's a really great song. I love the solo at the end after the melodic part (and it's a fine melody).

It's not my favorite Opeth album, but I love the sound on that album so much. The guitars are so loud and clear and huge sounding

I am with you all the way. That part in "The Leper Affinity" is just awesome. And "The Funeral Portrait" is my fav. song on the album. It has been for a long time too. It really has that old 70's rock feel to it, but at the same time is heavy as fuck.

Leper Affinity was the first Opeth song I heard all the way through (i heard bits and pieces of Morningrise before, but that doesn't count) and I listened to the entire thing over again, then bought BWP the next day. Its definately not one of my favorite songs now, but it was my first. And it got me into Opeth. As for the Funeral Portrait..... well..... it's actually one of my least favorite songs by them. It just doesnt have that dark and atmospheric gloomy feel that the other songs do. Maybe it sounds a little too "happy" (relatively speaking.... I know that it is still not an actual happy by far. But this says nothing about my view on happy songs in general....)