whats the heaviest amp out there?

Jeffy said:
That isn't really true. Plenty of bands get a really crisp guitar sound while tuning really low, I definately wouldn't call the guitar sound on Colony by In Flames muddy.

Yeah, you don't automatically get a muddy sound if you tune below Db.. such as straight C, which is In Flames tuning I'm sure you already know (Well, it was until most of their songs were written in drop A# for Reroute and STYE).

I think that you have to do a lot of tweaking to get a nice sound with enough high end to cut through the rest of the band though in C. I'm playing through a crate gx1200h half stack, and the distortion channel is comparable to a Mesa Boogie dual rec in my opinion.

However, I got a new guitar with dual seymour livewire active pickups in it, and the combination of the amp coupled with the active pickups seems to muddy up the sound. Do you play In Flames stuff? Maybe you've experienced some of this. I think that I may need a more versatile amplifier.

Jester

my friends got an Engl Powerball and that thing is absolutely amazing. im looking to get a peavey triple xxx soon. both are great. i had problems with marshall in the past, and i dont want to get another. basically from what ive noticed, peavey XXX, anything Engl, Diezel, VHT, or Soldano. the last three are quite expensive, but from what ive heard of them, they are damn good.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
I had the opportunity to play on a very wide range of amps. Mesa, marshall, Rireva, Ibanez, Crate, Traynor, VHT, Washburn, Soldano, Peavy, fender, ...etc. And not only one specimen of each brand but as many as possible. I even modify amps for experimentation. Basically, I think it is important for a guitar player to discover his preference in sound. Still it is always a question of personnal taste(Hope this is the right to say it). From my point of view, Mesa give give a standard nice sound but The Triple XXX form peavy offers similar grooves and it cost less. My grand favorite remains Marshall but not every units. Always go for the full valve (amp and pre-amp).

As for the main question...The cab makes a difference and try an EQ.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Maestro Pero

http://www.maestropero.com

I have a Ampeg VH-140c head(solid state). It's very brutal and crushing. Suffocation,Dying Fetus,Misery Index,Gorguts,etc.. who knows who else uses them. You could probably make an old person have a heart attack running it through a 4x12 cab with natural gain.

Trevor Lane said:
If you want to be "un-muddy" the lowest you should tune your guitar to is D flat. Besides that the heaviest Amp that all other Amps must bow to are Randall, especially the WarHead.

That's not exactly true. That depends on the pickups you use. I use a Seymour Duncan JB (Jeff Becker Signature) on my jackson dinky reverse with d'addario .09 strings. The pickup is in the bridge position and it is a low-to-mid-gain pickup (like EMG 81, 85). The pickups that come with cheap guitars and those high-gain (with exception to at least the Gibson Dirtyfingers - shipped with Gibson Explorers) are the only that make your tone go muddy, but that's also intrisically related to your amp settings. Tweak around til you find the sweet spot for your amp, guitar and tuning

The amps I would really like to have, because of their natural heavyness and/or clarity:

- Bogner Uberschall
- Peavey 5150 or the 6505 (they're both the same)
- Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Peavey 5150 212 Combo or Peavey 6505 212 are definitely the cheapest among the high gain amps. Just make sure you install a proper hot pickup and 12ax7 tubes to get a lot of squeal out of them. I always tune to B standard and these ones never have mud.

Second are Engl Savage 120, Soldano SLO-100 and Diezel VH-4. They are hard to get in the most areas of the world and aren't that cheap.