whats the most influential type of metal

Consuming Impulse said:
Thrash metal is the most influential gerne in metal. bar none. Not only that but it's the best.

I agree with that. But Doom is what started it all.

Consuming Impulse said:
Yeah doom is defently where it all started.
what do you mean by doom metal started it all. i dont recall many good doom bands sorry i dont listin to doom metal much

Doom Metal started it all, mainly because Black Sabbath and the such (as mentioned above). For personal influences with my band I'd have to go with Symphonic Black Metal and Doom Metal (in one of my two bands we're doing a Sympho Black/Doom Metal thing).

hardcore was the biggest influence on modern metal. before the original "metalcore" came around in 80-something (back when thrash meant punkrock), metal was mid-tempo at it's fastest and still mostly chord-based and clean-vocal'd. hardcore is the reason metal features 1. fast tempos 2. screaming 3. dissonance 4. socially aware/revolutionary lyrics 5. underground DIY ethic

Imp! said:
You are quite a mean bugger.

:lol:

most infleutnion metal has got to be thrash, if you look at the bands involved in the orginal thrash scene and how many contemporary bands attribute those bands as influence is great (that didnt make sense)

NOWBHM as well
but Thrash >NWOBHM just

Décadent said:
Black Sabbath and Pentagram you fucking clown.
sorry i didnt know sabbath counted as doom metal i just conciderd it heavy metal but yeah it did start it all dio was there at the beginning and maiden was out since 62 but under a diffrent name.

Teh Grimarse said:
hardcore was the biggest influence on modern metal. before the original "metalcore" came around in 80-something (back when thrash meant punkrock), metal was mid-tempo at it's fastest and still mostly chord-based and clean-vocal'd. hardcore is the reason metal features 1. fast tempos 2. screaming 3. dissonance 4. socially aware/revolutionary lyrics 5. underground DIY ethic

Damn you love your hardcore, unfortunately it doesn't apply here; he said "type of metal".

I'd have to agree with NWOBHM. Just classify Maiden as a genre and you'd nearly have it.