Who is your biggest metal influence?

Iron Chef Sakai

New Metal Member
Jan 23, 2007
Kitchen Stadium
What band, singer, album or metal song has influenced you the most? and why is it the most influential to you?

For song, I'm going to say Spellbound by Dimmu Borgir, its the one song for some reason got into listening black metal all the time!

Fenriz from Darkthrone
Bill Steer of Napalm Death/Carcass/Blackstar/Firebird
Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath

bands:

carcass, napalm death, sepultura, slayer, judas priest, cannibal corpse

albuns:

reek of putrefaction, tomb of the mutilated, utopia banished, beneath the remains, painkiller, hell awaits

<--------

Simen Hestnaes a.k.a. ICS Vortex. The Borknagar albums he sings on are what got me into black metal, and he's the main reason I'm starting to play the bass guitar.

emperor (ihsahn as well)
borknagar
bathory
enslaved

those are pretty much my biggest influences. though, my dying bride has been a recent influence
~gR~

David Vincent, Chris Barnes, and Glen Benton are my death metal influences for my vocals.
Morbid Angel got me into Death Metal, Emperor got me into Black Metal, didn't need Cradle or Dimmu to be a gateway band. :)

David Vincent, Chris Barnes, and Glen Benton are my death metal influences for my vocals.
Morbid Angel got me into Death Metal, Emperor got me into Black Metal, didn't need Cradle or Dimmu to be a gateway band. :)

Oh no u didn't go that way lol :: Hits u over head with a metal bat :: leave it for the other thread... anyways I don't know what influenced me more... Def Leppard's Pyromania got me into metal to begin with back in 1983... and i progressed from there.. but as for extreme metal I would have to say starting with Thrash circa 1986... Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer...

1) Iron Maiden - for getting me into Metal. Number of the Beast did it.

2) Gamma Ray - Discovered Power Metal. I listened to their song 'Rebellion in Dreamland' and loved it. Since then, I have pretty much exhausted the genre, it no longer holds the interest it did once for me.

2) Dream Theater - I found them to be an absoultely amazing band at the time. Progressive Metal was the second subgenre of Metal I got into, and it led me to a whole plethora of awesome bands like Shadow Gallery, Fates Warning, Green Carnation, etc. My favorite genre of Metal, and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.

As far as Thrash and Death Metal goes, I am into all the major bands of the two genres, but still exploring the genres. Same for Black Metal. I am still an 'Extreme Metal' novice, but I really like what I have so far, from it.

Opeth,Children of bodom, dream theater,evergrey i guess.

I never really touched the piano until i realised how melodically beautiful it sounded.

I love to play iced earth on the bass :)