Most Influential Thrash Band?

On the scene as a whole I'd say Slayer too, but on a personal level definately Metallica as they are the band that got me into metal to begin with. Of course I know I'm not alone in this, but I still feel it's important to mention.

Dark Angel could have been a very influential thrash band if they released more albums in the vein of Darkness Descends. Those guys really had the potential to scare the shit out of Slayer.

Look, you morons, he didn't ask which band you preferred, he asked about influence. Thus, the answer is Slayer. Others are Sodom, Sarcofago, Sepultura, etc.

Testament wasn't influential in the least.

If anyone thinks Metallica is the answer, they are dumber than a sack of potatos.

Metallica= sped-up traditional metal using the open harmony of almost all metal past and present

Slayer= pioneered the use of dissonant intervals that shook the very foundation of metal.

Case closed.

Then let me rephrase: I can't believe so many people fail to realize the influence that Metallica had. It's a shame that people let Metallica's mistakes cloud their judgment. Such people have a propensity to fixate on those mistakes and let all of their accomplishments go unnoticed. The fact of the matter is that Metallica's one of the best heavy metal bands ever, and the genre wouldn't be the same had they not rose to prominence.

Slayer's equally influential, but I personally think they're overrated.

Metallica = Very intricate arrangements, extremely well written music, awesome guitar solos with both shred and melody, and often thought provoking lyrics.

Slayer = Extremely aggressive and awesome stuff, but not as good as Metallica. Guitar solos are sub par and the lyrics contain superfluous satanic references. In my opinion, Metallica is superior.

As far as influence goes, however, I think Metallica and Slayer are pretty much equal.

SpiritCrusherX said:
Then let me rephrase: I can't believe so many people fail to realize the influence that Metallica had. It's a shame that people let Metallica's mistakes cloud their judgment. Such people have a propensity to fixate on those mistakes and let all of their accomplishments go unnoticed. The fact of the matter is that Metallica's one of the best heavy metal bands ever, and the genre wouldn't be the same had they not rose to prominence.

Slayer's equally influential, but I personally think they're overrated.

Metallica = Very intricate arrangements, extremely well written music, awesome guitar solos with both shred and melody, and often thought provoking lyrics.

Slayer = Extremely aggressive and awesome stuff, but not as good as Metallica. Guitar solos are sub par and the lyrics contain superfluous satanic references. In my opinion, Metallica is superior.

As far as influence goes, however, I think Metallica and Slayer are pretty much equal.

Well, you typed a lot and said nothing. Further, you didn't read my post. He said most influential, not your preference. Is this too difficult for you to understand?

Slayer shattered the open harmony of normal metal. Metallica was a good band, but not a particularly influential one. They didn't do anything that was never done before. Slayer did.

A random comment: though quite good, Metallica was never an elite band.

Demiurge said:
Well, you typed a lot and said nothing. Further, you didn't read my post. He said most influential, not your preference. Is this too difficult for you to understand?

Slayer shattered the open harmony of normal metal. Metallica was a good band, but not a particularly influential one. They didn't do anything that was never done before. Slayer did.

A random comment: though quite good, Metallica was never an elite band.

I think I fulfilled the question that was asked (explaining why I think Metallica is influential) and since you started comparing Metallica and Slayer I felt obligated to offer an additional opinion on them. Stop being an asshole.

Even if you do believe that Metallica never did anything that wasn't done before, who says you have to be innovative to be influential? Maybe it helps, but in my opinion all you have to do to be influential is create something wonderful that inspires others, and Metallica certainly did that. While it's not the only evidence of Metallica's influence, almost every metal band has openly stated that they were influenced by Metallica, and it is evident in the respective music of those bands. That should be reason enough.

I totally agree with Demiurge, people are arguing for metallica, because they like metallica- metallica offered nothing new to the metal world- they only synthesized what had already been done. However, i do disagree with demiuge on Testament- alot of melodic death metal had a very strong testament influence.