25 Most Important METAL bands

Crimson Velvet said:
The only bands that should be on a list like this are the bands who shook the very foundations of the entire metal genre...

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Slayer
Metallica
Motörhead
Bathory
Megadeth
Venom

There is no need to include the extreme metal bands that came in the late eighties, early nineties, since they are the result of the afore-mentioned bands.
Megadeth shook foundations? Like Priest, Bathory, etc.? :err:

>>>Megadeth shook foundations? Like Priest, Bathory, etc.?

Um...pretty close, yeah. When they were coming out with Peace Sells and stuff, it was right up there with the best metal was offering. Metallica, Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax.

Scott

I think the "doom" bands can be safely thrown out to avoid redundancy, as Black sabbath is already on there which is enough. Were these bands really doing anything different? Doom isn't even really a separate genre like Speed, Black, and Death are.

If you mean top notch metal comparable to Testament and Metallica, sure...it was on par with them as opposed to a billion other sub par bands.

Scott

>>>I see them the same way I see Malmsteen. Excellent musicians, talented in their fields. But can't make a good fucking song to save their lives.

I hope you're not including the "Images and Words" albumn in there. Or Ytsei Jam.

Scott

Well tell me how that "genre" has progressed since what Black sabbath did. it got.. slower?

Yes. Also faster (see: Trouble). Evolution has a lot more to it than getting faster.

lost the blues elements, incorporated influence from deathmetal, incorporated more epic melodies and shitz etc

Vital Remains said:
where the fuck is vader on that list.

I hope you are kidding. Vader is morbid angels kittens.

Discovery said:
I think the "doom" bands can be safely thrown out to avoid redundancy, as Black sabbath is already on there which is enough. Were these bands really doing anything different? Doom isn't even really a separate genre like Speed, Black, and Death are.

How can a style that was before those styles/genres not be its own genre.

Certain doom bands are a lot less redundant than death and black metal bands.

I meant it's redundant to have more than Black sabbath on the list to represent Doom. In response to people suggesting more crappy doom bands.

You can say that all you want, but you'd not only be wrong but you'll also look stupid, especially considering you're not even making an argument but just restating your single talking point.

Discovery said:
I meant it's redundant to have more than Black sabbath on the list to represent Doom. In response to people suggesting more crappy doom bands.

Since I last logged in, did IQ's suddenly take a massive dive?:erk:

Discovery said:

Bands like Solitude Aeturnus,Cathedral,Saint Vitus,Trouble,Candlemass and Pentagram while being infleunced by sabbath have their own identities and distinct vocalists which you can't say about most 90's metalbands. These bands are just as important as sabbath by helping establish and officially getting doom on the roll as a serious form of music. Scott from Saint Vitus is a great vocalist and guitarist and has branched out with his bands obsessed,the hidden hand and place of skulls and who knows what else. Sabbath started but we have people like this that keep traditionalism in music going.

Solitude Aeturnus for example as musicians get no credit at all and there singer is one of the best singers to grace earth.

The Greys said:
Bands like Solitude Aeturnus,Cathedral,Saint Vitus,Trouble,Candlemass and Pentagram while being infleunced by sabbath have their own identities and distinct vocalists which you can't say about most 90's metalbands. These bands are just as important as sabbath by helping establish and officially getting doom on the roll as a serious form of music.

Agreed.

However, for the record, Vader aren't Morbid Angel copyists. Thanks :kickass:

The Greys said:
I hope you are kidding. Vader is morbid angels kittens.

yeah morbid angels been around longer but vader still has a place on that list. they were too fucking badass not to be. plus they stimulated alot of other shit. VADER:headbang:

I wouldnt put Vader on that list, much as I love them. They didn't do much to instigate anything other than the Polish metal revolution.