25 Most Important METAL bands

MasterOLightning said:
Let's come up with a list. These should be metal bands. No need for proto-metal, prog, hardcore, or other bands that were influential but not metal (so no Zep, Floyd, Rush, Discharge, etc.). These bands should be innovators and extremely influential. If they were neither of these, then their work should be among the best the genre has ever seen. Popularity per se does not equal importance, but it goes without saying that popular bands are inherently more influential. I propose the following bands which should be unquestionable locks for this list:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Slayer
Bathory
Carcass
Mayhem
Darkthrone
Burzum
Motorhead

I wouldn't say Burzum and your missing Anthrax they were the first thrash band. And also Celtic Frost. These two should be locks no doubt about it.

That doesn't really make sense in the context of my post at all, to be honest.

Metallica came well before Metal Church, so I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Necuratul said:
Metallica came well before Metal Church, so I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Wrong.

Metallica's Hit The Lights demo was released in 1982, whereas Metal Church released two demos before that year.

I don't know why people want Dream Theater out so badly. Just because you think they're wanky garbage doesn't lesson their importance. They were the first virtuoso band, and now you basically have to display incredible musicianship in just about all types of metal these days. They've eclipsed any other prog band in popularity. Their popularity in musician's circles is the only exposure to metal many people have.

The fact that Opeth's influence doesn't show in other bands doesn't mean a whole lot. They are basically the newest band on the list. Bands that have tried to imitate them always come off sounding so much like a ripoff that they don't gain any success. They've mastered their style to the point where probably no one will do it better. Their influence will probably be felt much more in bands that write lengthy and dynamically diverse compositions, combine extreme and clean vocals, and play heavy music without blastbeats or a lot of metal cliches. They are important because they aren't just another band who puts out album after album of 8-12 3-6 minute songs. Plenty of bands experiment with different ways of playing metal, but few have been so successful at bringing in so many new fans and longtime metal listeners.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Wrong.

Metallica's Hit The Lights demo was released in 1982, whereas Metal Church released two demos before that year.

Ok if you want to be techincal...

Metal Church made 4 demos. First one being in 1980. Metallica had 8 demos between the years 1982-83. With that said, Metal Church's debut album was released in 1984. Whereas Metallica's debut was released in 1983. I personally think Metallica wins this battle mainly because they had their actual album released first. Demos don't mean anything.

I don't know why people want Dream Theater out so badly. Just because you think they're wanky garbage doesn't lesson their importance. They were the first virtuoso band, and now you basically have to display incredible musicianship in just about all types of metal these days. They've eclipsed any other prog band in popularity. Their popularity in musician's circles is the only exposure to metal many people have.

I agree, I didn't think much of Dream Theatre until I saw them live. Once with Fates Warning and once just by themselves. They blew me away, their musicanship is just incredible