25 Most Important METAL bands

Do you really think that Candlemass is more important than Cathedral? I think they're a shitload better, but certainly not more important.

Necuratul said:
Do you really think that Candlemass is more important than Cathedral? I think they're a shitload better, but certainly not more important.
THeyre not a "shitload" better imo. Other than that, sound reasoning.:kickass:

Necuratul said:
Celtic Frost is on there, actually. I'll repost the list so people don't have to go back and look for it. This is the tentative list thus far, not in any value order.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Cathedral
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates
24. Celtic Frost
25. Fates Warning

The glaring anomalies are Opeth and Fates Warning. The rest have been and are cited as being influential by other, subsequent quality bands. This justifies their importance (and whether i like them or not, I can't argue that with Helloween). Who have Opeth or Fates Warning influenced, really? I'd go with Skyclad and Paradise Lost, to be honest.

Yeah, like I said before, I don't think Opeth deserve a spot up there.. YET. Sure, ATG isn't really much older than Opeth but they made an obviously HUGE impact on the metal scene, which Opeth are yet to do. I fucking love Opeth, but I'll stand by this. I REALLLLLY think Neurosis should be up there. I mean they've been around for over 20 years and they've influenced so many bands!

I think Motorhead should be up higher, higher than Metallica at least...

And really, was Venom really that influential or revolutionizing? They seem to me more of a combination of many things, but eh...

My metal knowlege is obviously lacking compared to yours, so I'll take your word for it.:p

Scourge of Malice said:
Yeah, like I said before, I don't think Opeth deserve a spot up there.. YET. Sure, ATG isn't really much older than Opeth but they made an obviously HUGE impact on the metal scene, which Opeth are yet to do. I fucking love Opeth, but I'll stand by this. I REALLLLLY think Neurosis should be up there. I mean they've been around for over 20 years and they've influenced so many bands!

Good point, Neurosis are far more important than Opeth IMO.

Fates Warning revolutionized the Prog genre, first of all, and heavily influenced Dream Theatre. WTF. If Dream Theatre would be on the list, Fates Warning better be fucking on there. Plus, anyone that knows anything knows they rule, and are much better than Queensryche, who are pretty limp as far as I'm concerned. I do think that Voivod deserves a spot, but certainly not Fates Warning's.

Necuratul said:
Doom Metal:

Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Candlemass (as you said)
diSEMBOWELMENT
Evoken

what about thergothon dude, they deserve to be on there before evoken imo

MasterOLightning said:
Meh, people talk about Reek of... and Necroticism all of the time here, and next to no one talks about Napalm Death. I think the consensus is that Carcass made the better albums. Being first is a lot apparently, but it isn't everything.

I think they may both be equally important, only Carcass more so in terms of metal. From what I see, ND's impact branches more out into current crust/grind/hardcore scenes. I mean, sure they were unquestionably a straight death metal band at one point, but those early records and the political leanings certainly struck a chord with other audiences. Carcass, on the other hand, are cited as influential in two realms of metal, one being goregrind with the style and lyrical content of their first recordings, and of course melodic death later down the line.

In Flames. After all In Flames were one of the pioneers for melodic-death. I suggest swapping with Opeth and Dreamtheatre.

>>>I've tried to be pretty unbiased. There are bands there that I don't really like, and others that I've never heard.

Hah...

How can you make your own list and put bands you've never even heard on there? Just because other people think so?

Scott

SheisMySin said:
Hah...

How can you make your own list and put bands you've never even heard on there? Just because other people think so?

Scott

Probably because the thread is about the most important metal bands, it didn't ask us for our favourites.

Necuratul said:
Fates Warning revolutionized the Prog genre, first of all, and heavily influenced Dream Theatre. WTF. If Dream Theatre would be on the list, Fates Warning better be fucking on there. Plus, anyone that knows anything knows they rule, and are much better than Queensryche, who are pretty limp as far as I'm concerned. I do think that Voivod deserves a spot, but certainly not Fates Warning's.

OK Voivod instead of Dream Theatre and leave Fates Warning in (I don't really know jack about prog metal anyway).

Though in terms of a band who have developed a unique style and spawned legions of imitators as well as influencing the larger metal scene I agree with Scourge; Neurosis far surpass Opeth. In fact I see Opeth's importance as mostly superficial, with all the elements they incoperate existing long before they threw them together and became every newbie's favourite band.