25 Most Important METAL bands

Oh yeah, and swap Cathedral for Candlemass. Cathedral has a much more widespread influence, even though I much prefer Candlemass.

I somehow did that a minute before you posted it.

What about In Flames vs. At the Gates? In Flames definitely was the more popular band and reached many more people than At the Gates, but ATG was technically first to melodeath, and has a well liked back catalogue. However, since ATG never followed up StS, In Flames sort of became the face of the Gothenburg scene.

I think that At The Gates is definitely more important than In Flames. At The Gates was pretty much the first face of Gothenburg, and I'm sure greatly influenced the likes of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. Their early albums are also, of course, hallmarks of quality Melodic Death Metal.

Celtic Frost is on there, actually. I'll repost the list so people don't have to go back and look for it. This is the tentative list thus far, not in any value order.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Cathedral
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates
24. Celtic Frost
25. Fates Warning

I still don't like Opeth and Dream Theater on there, but it's quite a solid list. Also, remind me what's so uber about Fates Warning?

Sepultura instead of any of those 3.

I just checked out M-A. Apparently The Jester Race came out in Feb. 1995, and Slaughter of the Soul in Nov. 1995. I wonder why AtG is usually credited as first then. Even on the Subterranean EP from 1994, In Flames was doing basically the same thing as TJR, but the production was a little messier.

@HoM: I wouldn't feel right putting Sepultura, MA, Suffo, Death, and Possessed. I would drop Possessed if any, but you wouldn't be willing to do that, would you?

MasterOLightning said:
I just checked out M-A. Apparently The Jester Race came out in Feb. 1995, and Slaughter of the Soul in Nov. 1995. I wonder why AtG is usually credited as first then. Even on the Subterranean EP from 1994, In Flames was doing basically the same thing as TJR, but the production was a little messier.

ATG had a few albums before SotS. I still think In Flames really did more for the typical melo death way of riffing you hear now adays, but I can live with ATG on there, cause it wouldn't be the same without them.

I'd definitely put Queensryche instead of Dream Theater and Voivod instead of Fates Warning, who while influential are just a bit less so than the others on the list.

These are IMPORTANT bands right? The list seem spretty solid up to Slayer.. then I start to dissagree...

Besides what makes a band IMPORTANT exactly? Just to be sure we're on the same page here. It may seem like a dumb question but I'm woundering if its most influencial, skill, speed w/e.

I'm assuming you don't know much about extreme metal then. If this was in order, Bathory would probably be 2nd or 3rd.

My criteria:
- Did something groundbreaking, innovative, revolutionary
- Had a marked influence on other bands or the development of genres
- Recorded albums that are regarded as classics and staples of a genre
- In some way advanced the development of metal or set new standards
- Was the primary leader in a certain scene, the best representative of a style
- Has remained relevant over time

I've tried to be pretty unbiased. There are bands there that I don't really like, and others that I've never heard.

I agree that the list needs variety. Death or Possessed, one of them has to go. I also think Opeth doesn't need to be there. No-one else does what they do? Opeth = Morbid Angel + Voivod + Acoustic folk
And yes, Neurosis must be included.