Nomination Stage: Most consistent metal bands

Bolt Thrower and Chasm are obvious contenders, both mentioned in this light very often on this board.

But I actually agree with Revbiz above, even though technically they only have 3 albums. III was my favorite for a while and I think we could easily consider Return To The Rectory a fourth album.

EDIT: I don't know Type O Negative's disco well enough to comment on that and I admit I only ever listened to the early stuff that reminded me of Carnivore.

I think we can safely count Harbinger of Metal a full length as well, being that it's over 70 minutes long.

Reactions: Onder
Madder Mortem (but since hardly anyone here seems to know or like them, there's probably no use in including them)

Too bad that Anacrusis can't be nominated because of the rules in the initial post.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
What are you qualifying for Opeth then? MAYH through Ghost Reveries/Watershed? Because there’s a stylistic change from Morningrise to MAYH. But if you’re counting the first 2 then you could easily count Death - the change from Spiritual Healing to Human and then Human to Symbolic is similar to the Opeth example tbh.

What are you qualifying for Opeth then? MAYH through Ghost Reveries/Watershed? Because there’s a stylistic change from Morningrise to MAYH. But if you’re counting the first 2 then you could easily count Death - the change from Spiritual Healing to Human and then Human to Symbolic is similar to the Opeth example tbh.

Since it's my own rec I'm willing to drop it if a couple of people concur with this opinion.

Opeth has changed styles many times during their career, sometimes even from album to album. Although they are super consistent and dependable at being a super boring band, they definitely don't belong in this game based on the rules described in the first post.

Reactions: Onder
Opeth has changed styles many times during their career, sometimes even from album to album. Although they are super consistent and dependable at being a super boring band, they definitely don't belong in this game based on the rules described in the first post.

Only four more nays required and we may initiate the standard protocol 18 U.M. Code § 2142 for removing the offending band per article 38 DAK § 57.118.

I don't if anyone has mentioned Mortem yet. They have a stellar body of work!

Other bands that have been sort of consistent:

Sabbat (Jap)
Arghoslent/GBK
Faustcoven (super stoked on new material)
Immolation

I don't if anyone has mentioned Mortem yet. They have a stellar body of work!

Other bands that have been sort of consistent:

Sabbat (Jap)
Arghoslent/GBK
Faustcoven (super stoked on new material)
Immolation

Good picks. I agree with the first three. Arghoslent technically only has three full-lengths though. (Some people say Hornets is mostly recycled riffs but I think all the albums are consistently good).

Danzig - even Blackacidevil has its moments, and Black Laden Crown grew on me after several listens.

Black Sabbath (the 80's stuff is great)
I think bands who changed styles should be allowed as long as the change was well-received by fans. But taking on a singer whose voice belongs in AOR means Sabbath gets a big no from me.

Since it's my own rec I'm willing to drop it if a couple of people concur with this opinion.

I'd rather you drop the "stylistic change" rule stuff tbh. Especially when it's bands like Death, where while you could say they changed subgenres, they still at least play some form of extreme metal on every album.

Anyway other bands to be considered:

THE CHASM
Nokturnal Mortum
Destroyer 666 - Defiance is pretty shit, but the rest is good to great
Morbid Angel - 4 good albums, 2 of which rank up with the best ever
Immolation - first 5. Newer stuff isn't bad, but rather tired and stale imo
Darkthrone - first 4 black metal albums are all classic, Soulside Journey and Goatlord are good death metal albums and their new stuff isn't bad
Burzum - 6 black metal albums that range from good to phenominal
Summoning

Award for the most consistently shit/bland/boring band - Belphegor. Fuck this band.

Unfortunately, consistency isn't a strong point for most metal bands. They tend to become dull and tired, losing that youthful passion and energy or they completely change genres and in most cases do a crap job.

Last edited:
Anyway other bands to be considered:

THE CHASM
Nokturnal Mortum
Destroyer 666 - Defiance is pretty shit, but the rest is good to great
Morbid Angel - 4 good albums, 2 of which rank up with the best ever
Immolation - first 5. Newer stuff isn't bad, but rather tired and stale imo
Darkthrone - first 4 black metal albums are all classic, Soulside Journey and Goatlord are good death metal albums and their new stuff isn't bad
Burzum - 6 black metal albums that range from good to phenominal
Summoning

"Here's a list of bands with explanation detailing exactly how inconsistent they are, I think they'd make great submissions for a consistent-bands list"

Well it's slim picking in metal unfortunately - releasing 4 or more good albums is a rarity so I think bands that have managed that should be called consistent. I don't think releasing 4 good to great albums and 1 bad one should disqualify a band from being called consistent personally. These are all examples of bands with far more good releases than bad ones. In fact, aside from Morbid Angel and Burzum, none of them have released anything I'd call straight up bad. More like redundant in the case of later Immolation and Summoning.