Most consistent long-running metal bands?

Queensryche

My go to weapon... :heh:

facepalm_implied.jpg

SAXON (save for the 1985-1989 era, the rest pretty much rules)
PRETTY MAIDS
SYMPHONY X
FIREWIND
ANTHEM
ARIA
JAG PANZER
PRIMAL FEAR
TAROT
NOCTURNAL RITES

I would go with:

Symphony X
Ayreon (if you count the Dream Sequencers as separate albums)
Soilwork
In Flames (I don't know about everyone else, but I only count Soundtrack as a dud, though it's a hell of a dud)
Blind Guardian
Evergrey (I even like MMA, it's just nowhere near as strong as the rest)
Iced Earth
Vanden Plas

For the bands that don't quite qualify but I'm sure will make it there with ease:
Scar Symmetry
Redemption
Seventh Wonder
Sabaton
Riverside
Pagan's Mind
Dream Evil
Andromeda

Vanden Plas - THE model of consistency.
Fates Warning
Metal Church (the later releases weren't near what Wayne/Howe era were, but were still pretty solid)
Testament
Accept
Dio

My brain hurts....... Bryant

Off the top of my head:
Slough Feg
Manilla Road
Deceased
Amon Amarth
Kreator

Bands that need more albums:
Akercocke
The Gates of Slumber
Pale Divine
Revelation
There is definitely more that I need to add to this list. When I'm not feeling so lazy, I will.

Symphony X
Amon Amarth
Blind Guardian
Death
Overkill
Rage
Grave Digger
Testament
Gamma Ray

I would like to give special mention to Windir. I know they only had 4 releases, but they are all awesome.

Metal Church (the later releases weren't near what Wayne/Howe era were, but were still pretty solid)
Accept
Dio

I think I can agree on Metal Church, even if the Munroe-era never grabbed me as much as the Wayne and Howe-era. It was still solid as you said.

As for Accept, they have one shit-eater (Eat The Heat) and one semi-shit-eater (Predator). The first albums before Breaker were also quite average. So, I'm not sure they qualify, even though I'm a huge fan of their "good" albums.

I forgot Dio in my own list, but he would also qualify IMO. He only released one shit-eater, which is Angry Machines. The rest of the albums are all good to excellent IMO, Lock Up The Wolves being only "good" cause it has several lesser tracks.

my picks are:

Dream Evil
Wolf. Their new album will be their 6th.
Axel Rudi Pell
Astral Doors (5 albums)

Dream Evil, Wolf and Astral Doors don't qualify as per the original post because they don't have 6 albums released so far. But they are indeed very consistent in term of quality releases.

How could I forget Axel Rudi Pell in my own list?? All his discs are very solid, save maybe for the 1st one, and also Magic, which never reallly grabbed me.

I can't think of anyone with a better sequence of great albuns as Savatage did from Hall of The Mountain King to Wake of Magellan.. 7 Great albums in a row...

The discs prior to the start and end of that run (Power of the Night, Poets and Madmen) are pretty good too...

I think The Gathering was better than Savatage... They haven't stopped making great albums, but they stopped being metal over a decade ago.. They don't qualify for that reason alone =P

It was harder for me to think of this list than I thought it would be. Some of these bands haven't put out an album in quite some time, but they certainly have plenty of material. I'm sure that others on the forum would disagree, but I think that these bands have been the most consistent with great albums, especially considering the number of albums they've released.

Angra
Brainstorm
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Freak Kitchen
Gamma Ray
Nocturnal Rites
Primal Fear
Symphony X
Threshold

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'd grant you DSO is probably better than any post Angels Cry output from Angra.:heh:

DSO is better than anything Queensryche has done since the late nineties.

I will hand it to you though, after being constantly abused by the bad records some of these bands have released, you must have quite the fuck resistance... :lol:

Vader
Bolt Thrower (although I believe they've said they might not release any more new albums, sadly :erk:)
Amon Amarth
Ulver
Lord Weird Slough Feg
Moonsorrow
Electric Wizard
Impaled Nazarene

I will also mention Agalloch...one of my favorite bands. They only have 4 full-length albums out, but they have multiple EPs, their demos are engaging, and they've been at it for quite a while. They take a long time to release new material, but when they do, it never fails to amaze.