Most consistent long-running metal bands?

Aug 14, 2008
NOT your favorite bands, but bands who you can go through most or all of their catalog and be like "damn, this rules..."

Qualifications:

Must be a metal band (obvi)

Must have 6 or more albums

Must have no more than one dud*

*= personal opinion

For me:

Moonspell
Amorphis
Symphony X
Sigh
Dark Tranquillity
Katatonia
Opeth
Paradise Lost
Rotting Christ
Nevermore

Although both RC and Nevermore both released massive duds last year. Hope they can recover from it! Otherwise, I'd say that these above bands for me are completely representative of what true metal is to me. Consistently good, never writing the same album twice, but staying relatively relevant and innovative within the underground/scene.

NOT your favorite bands, but bands who you can go through most or all of their catalog and be like "damn, this rules..."

Qualifications:

*= personal opinion

For me:

Moonspell
Amorphis
Symphony X
Sigh
Opeth
Paradise Lost
Rotting Christ
Nevermore

Although both RC and Nevermore both released massive duds last year. Hope they can recover from it! Otherwise, I'd say that these above bands for me are completely representative of what true metal is to me. Consistently good, never writing the same album twice, but staying relatively relevant within the underground/scene.

I agree with all of the ones in your list that I know of, with the exception of Paradise Lost.

I'd add Vanden Plas to your list.

I loved Theogonia but couldn't get into Aealo at all. :(

Out of the ones on your list, I only have the near-complete discography of Symphony X (who I definitely agree on). I'd also like to add Primordial.

Khan-era Kamelot (he pretty much turned them into a whole new band anyway, so)
Sonata Arctica (they do two radically different styles equally well)
Pain of Salvation (don't like OHBtCL and only like half of Entropia, so strictly speaking I guess they don't belong here)
Seventh Wonder when they have made two more albums :p

Moonspell
Amorphis
Symphony X
Sigh
Dark Tranquillity
Katatonia
Opeth
Paradise Lost
Rotting Christ
Nevermore

Only one of those I would say were overall consistent is opeth, katatonia and maybe sym x. Ilove amorphis but they had a dry period there prior to eclipse. Moonspell went in a weird direction for an album. Pl had a couple in the 90s that werewn't so great.

For me:

Amon amarth
Motorhead
Slayer
Dream theater (I know I will get flak for that but I don't care as I find all their stuff great.)
Therion
Nightwish

Only one of those I would say were overall consistent is opeth, katatonia and maybe sym x. Ilove amorphis but they had a dry period there prior to eclipse. Moonspell went in a weird direction for an album. Pl had a couple in the 90s that werewn't so great.

For me:

Amon amarth
Motorhead
Slayer
Dream theater (I know I will get flak for that but I don't care as I find all their stuff great.)
Therion
Nightwish

Slayer?? Hahahaha you're funny Simon...

Agreed with Dream Theater though.

Nightwish

Agreed. Their only "dud" as far as I'm concerned is AFF.

Yeah what happened? Did he get cottonmouth or something?

That, and the production sounded TERRIBLE. Not sure if it was because of my music streaming service (subscription to Rdio), but it just sounded so... thin. And the songs themselves were boring, so nothing was really good about it. :(

Qualifications:

*= personal opinion

For me:

Symphony X

I have always said they are one of the most consistent metal bands around. I would add Fates Warning to my list. I would imagine I will add Redemption and Seventh Wonder as they get to 6 albums.

Dream theater (I know I will get flak for that but I don't care )

I got your back on this one. Although I was not a big fan of 6 degrees I have to say they have a very strong catalog front to back.

There's a million of them. But here's what comes off the top of my head.

Arch Enemy
Dream Theater
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Soilwork
Vanden Plas
Van Halen
Soulfly
Slayer
Opeth
Nevermore
Primal Fear