Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame

Alright I'll leave it open until Sunday night for 1st round nominations.

So far:

119 bands have been nominated
54 bands were nominated more than once

The top 5 is:
1) Black Sabbath 11 votes
tie 2) Slayer 10 votes
tie 2) Darkthrone 10 votes
4) Judas Priest 8 votes
5) Bathory 7 votes

have you considered making it tiered? so, like, the first 10 bands to make it are tier 1 GMD canon and then tier 2 is comprised of the next, say, 20 etc. a pyramid pantheon style thingy

have you considered making it tiered? so, like, the first 10 bands to make it are tier 1 GMD canon and then tier 2 is comprised of the next, say, 20 etc. a pyramid pantheon style thingy

Sort of, I was going to list them by rank per round they got in. Like:

Hall of Fame Feb 2016 (Round 1 inductees):
1) BS
2) Slayer
3) DT
4) JP
5) Bathory

Hall of Fame March 2016 (Round 2 inductees):
1) Band X
2) Band Y

Are people just forgetting Metallica, or what? I just think it's weird if you list 20 bands and they aren't one.

In my list I'm favoring long careers with many significant releases over one-album wonders. If this is going to be tiered, then I think those who proved themselves over time deserve preference, and I'm not going to punish bands too hard for flawed discographies.

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Bathory
Darkthrone
Emperor
Burzum
Enslaved
Deathspell Omega
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Morbid Angel
Death
Opeth

I predict you guys will put in Thin Lizzy by about the second round of this.

I intentionally left out Metallica and Iron Maiden since other people will nominate both of them and I think both are overrated. Maybe the two most overrated bands that I know.

I intentionally left out Metallica and Iron Maiden since other people will nominate both of them and I think both are overrated. Maybe the two most overrated bands that I know.

I was picking my wife up from work the other day and there's this pseudo-corporate guy walking down the steps in a suit with a Metallica shirt on. While I don't actually know the convictions of the guy, I could tell it was unlikely that he earnestly loved the band and instead just wanted to buck sartorial trends in his workplace. So yeah, there is a huge element of the public at large who overrate Metallica and Iron Maiden and use them as fashion emblems of subversive, yet ultimately acceptable, rebellion.

If the task was to compile a list of the 20 most popular, long-standing, far-reaching, mass-pleasing, respect-getting bands (which are usually the criteria for hall of fame type shenanigans) then I would have included both bands. But I was specifically instructed to follow my own heart and so, without further prompting, I stayed true to myself, followed my dreams and made my own list.

You don't think metal exists in the corporate world?

It exists in most places, but I thought of all the shirts this guy could have worn, from every metal band in the world, the Metallica shirt reeked of insincerity. I could be wrong though and I don't like being uncharitable. Maybe it was just Metallica day, and the next day he brings out Dismember or something.

It exists in most places, but I thought of all the shirts this guy could have worn, from every metal band in the world, the Metallica shirt reeked of insincerity. I could be wrong though and I don't like being uncharitable. Maybe it was just Metallica day, and the next day he brings out Dismember or something.

I think it would depend on what the shirt was. What was it?

I think it would depend on what the shirt was. What was it?

Black and white, logo at top, drawing of skull underneath it. Pretty sure. Looked fresh out of the shop. Haha I love this detailed analysis.

All I meant was that Metallica are one of those bands so highly rated they are well beyond what they probably deserve. But again I don't want to be uncharitable to Metallica and maybe they're rated just right. What do I know, I'm just a small town hick trying to make his way in the broad dispassionate world.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a world of difference between the shirt you described (ew btw) versus someone with a shirt from their early 80's era. The kind of douche you're describing is clearer to me now.

Here's a quick top 10

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Venom
Metallica
Slayer
Queensryche
Fates Warning
Watchtower

when i was a kid i had wads of paper covered in lists coming out of my ass, and i consider myself one of the least autistic people on this board. you're asking too much of us, we can't help it