Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame October 2016 Inductions

There are some majorly influential bands still missing from this list: Obituary, Napalm Death, Dream Theater, DRI, Dark Angel, Cynic, Sleep, Electric Wizard...

But yeah make sure every copycat trad band makes it on the list first amirite?

Last edited:
You might have a point if all of the bands that got in this round sounded the same as each other. Two of them are pretty similar in style, but the rest are all pretty different from one another.

Those bands are all more than worthy, but to dismiss bands like Riot, Accept, and Queensrÿche as simply copy cat trad? Sheer, palpable ignorance.

Please tell me how bands like: Riot, Angel Witch, Accept, Running Wild, Crimson Glory are uniquely different from bands that came before them while keeping in mind that Judas Priest, Rainbow, Iron Maiden etc all came before them. Are they unique in the same way that Napalm Death, Sleep, Cynic, etc were different from the bands before them? No.

I'm fine with Queensryche even though I don't much enjoy the band. Also I would have voted for Riot eventually but we need to honor the true innovators first imo.

Please tell me how bands like: Riot, Angel Witch, Accept, Running Wild, Crimson Glory are uniquely different from bands that came before them while keeping in mind that Judas Priest, Rainbow, Iron Maiden etc all came before them. Are they unique in the same way that Napalm Death, Sleep, Cynic, etc were different from the bands before them? No.

I'm fine with Queensryche even though I don't much enjoy the band. Also I would have voted for Riot eventually but we need to honor the true innovators first imo.
Firstly, Accept were formed in 1968, predating even Judas Priest, and were the original solidifiers of the German trad metal sound along with their more commercial brethren, the Scorpions. Riot were formed in '75, same year as Maiden and Rainbow, making them a unique sight and early contributor on the US metal scene given their sound, Angel Witch were formed in '77, and are hence among the earliest NWOBHM bands, Running Wild were formed in '76. The only band band you carry a valid point with are Crimson Glory, who took shape in '79. Nice try, but no cigar.

Riot and Accept were making music before Iron Maiden released even a single recording. Both bands were also reasonably influential on other 1980s metal. I don't really care to respond to the rest of your post since you apparently didn't even know that basic information.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
These were all cutting edge trad, power, and prog metal acts, with the noted exception of Crimson Glory, so I haven't a clue what he's on about. But even that's not entirely true, as CG were a flagship act of the burgeoning late 70's and early 80's American prog metal scene.

All of them suck. None are as good as Sabbath/dio or priest. We don't need 10 b-list trad metal bands in addition to the a-list bands we already have, before we have the very first bands in other genres. Angel witch didn't invent a damn thing if anything they removed metal's balls in their music.

You lost the timeline argument, handily, now you're resorting to the "I think they suck" rigmarole. Angel Witch were one of the earliest NWOBHM bands ever, and Kevin Heybourne's guitar work and arranging demonstrates a keen sense of melody if anything. We have the very first bands in just about every subgenre at this point, including black, death, doom, speed, trad, power, etc. Crimson Glory were right there alongside Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensrÿche in generating the American prog metal scene. None of these bands are "B-list", they were all prime movers in the 70's trad, power, and prog scenes.

Reactions: CiG
All of them suck. None are as good as Sabbath/dio or priest. We don't need 10 b-list trad metal bands in addition to the a-list bands we already have, before we have the very first bands in other genres. Angel witch didn't invent a damn thing if anything they removed metal's balls in their music.

Too bad that this topic is about voting for what you want on the list and not about one person just making the list on their own.

@Baroque Listen, I think the bands you listed will end up in the Hall anyway but are you seriously saying that bands that released albums on the caliber of Crimson Glory's S/T, Port Royal, Operation Mindcrime, Rage for Order, Transcendence, Death or Glory, Restless and Wild, Metal Heart, Thundersteel, Fire Down Under, The Privilege of Power, and The Brethren of the Long House do not deserve recognition? Yeah, that's a load of shit.

You lost the timeline argument, handily, now you're resorting to the "I think they suck" rigmarole. Angel Witch were one of the earliest NWOBHM bands ever, and Kevin Heybourne's guitar work and arranging demonstrates a keen sense of melody if anything. We have the very first bands in just about every subgenre at this point, including black, death, doom, speed, trad, power, etc. Crimson Glory were right there alongside Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensrÿche in generating the American prog metal scene. None of these bands are "B-list", they were all prime movers in the 70's trad, power, and prog scenes.

Because I realized the timeline doesn't even matter for my argument. They still sound like better bands that are already on the list. I don't agree with including every shitty trad "metal" band from the 70's before including pioneers of death metal, stoner, grindcore, prog, crossover etc. There's clearly a bias here is my point. There's no real reason for it and it doesn't represent the biggest innovators in metal overall.

it's not just one person's opinion here's another:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2413&page=&message_id=

Notice how Obituary is #40 while a lot of these bands are below them. Running Wild is #143, angel witch is #116...

Because I realized the timeline doesn't even matter for my argument. They still sound like better bands that are already on the list. I don't agree with including every shitty trad "metal" band from the 70's before including pioneers of death metal, stoner, grindcore, prog, crossover etc. There's clearly a bias here is my point. There's no real reason for it and it doesn't represent the biggest innovators in metal overall.

it's not just one person's opinion here's another:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2413&page=&message_id=

Notice how Obituary is #40 while a lot of these bands are below them. Running Wild is #143, angel witch is #116...
Did you honest to God just put "metal" in quotes to reference them? Are you drunk? You may not care for them, but they're prime movers for 70's metal. And you complain about not including prog pioneers, when that's exactly what Crimson Glory are. There's already Fates Warning, and now Queensrÿche in there as well, both crucial to prog as well. We have the pioneers of stoner and stoner doom themselves, Black Sabbath in there already, we already have a considerable number of pioneering death metal bands inducted, including Death, Atheist, Morbid Angel, Incantation, Possessed, and Immolation, and hopefully still more. As for the bias, sure, this is decided democratically, hence it's a tyranny of the majority, that's an obvious factor that comes with the territory. I've lobbied long and hard for the inclusion of as many innovators as possible, including a great number of extreme metal acts. Posting that ranking site is just a sad appeal to popularity fallacy.

obituary are pretty much the definition of a 'copycat band' to me, they wear their influences very openly on their sleeve. i love 'em though so i'd be happy to see them get in. DRI is a great shout, not sure how popular they are around here but they should be. surprised napalm death and dark angel aren't in yet, too.

that said, this is ultimately a UM hall of game, you can find an overall metal hall of fame elsewhere. no reason for a people who don't like stoner to pick electric wizard or sleep just because of their influence (which i'm sure some here probably consider to be a negative influence).

I love Electric Wizard, Sleep, D.R.I., and every band he originally listed, but I can only fit so many on my list. I've added Obituary as a different band now that 3 more on my list got inducted, and did so immediately after posting the results here.

There are some majorly influential bands still missing from this list: Obituary, Napalm Death, Dream Theater, DRI, Dark Angel, Cynic, Sleep, Electric Wizard...

Monolithic meh to the bolded, copycat and boring as you can get as well as brutally overrated, but yeah to the rest. Get voting instead of being a salty faggot though, this is democratic.

It's Hall of Fame, not Hall of Bands That Are Original Enough To Make Baroque Nut.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft