What's the overall opinion on RAGE's Speak of the Dead?

Iced Ray

May 18, 2004
I know there are a few Rage fans here and I just picked up this album from the used bins pretty cheap last night.

Now I am by no means a big fan of this band. I heard some songs here and there which were ok but nothing to make me go out of my way to buy their albums. That was until they released the double live album a couple of years ago. I gave that a shot and it was pretty good.

However, spinning this new album....I think I am done with this band. :erk:

Just curious as to how Rage fans feel about it.

I agree. I'm bored with half of this disc, and think the other half is okay at best. I prefer the two previous discs over this lingua mortis stuff.

Britt

Yeah, the first half is not easy to get through. The 2nd half is better.

I actually love the first half with the orchestra. The second half is more run of the mill heavy metal. Half the songs on the second half are actually great and the other... not so much.

I don't know why all these people knock Speak of the Dead. I think it's easily the best Rage album in my collection. I only have four of their albums though.

The Michael

Doesn't quite live up to Unity or Soundchaser, but theres a few tracks that really blew me away, though it isnt nearly as memorable as a Rage album SHOULD be.
VERY well put and I agree. The album is good but NOWHERE near the quality of Unity or Soundchaser.

It feels like the band basically just crammed two entirely different EPs on two one disc. I enjoy each half seperately, but as a whole I don't think the album turned out to be terribly cohesive.

My vote is: I really like the first half of Speak of the Dead, but I'm a sucker for metal mixed with orchestras. Meanwhile the second half is good, but not up to standards of what Rage can do. Unity is proof of that, and I'm with Jasonic in calling Soundchaser one of the great albums to come out in recent years.

Unity and Soundchaser rule. So does the DVD, From the Cradle to the Stage (except for the epilectic seizure-inducing video style).

I'm a HUGE fan of Rage's older material like Trapped, Black In Mind, The Missing Link, etc as well as the newer stuff too. For some reason, I haven't gotten into Speak of The Dead like I did with the rest of their stuff. I'm not quite sure why either. Maybe i'll give it another spin.