whats the story behind....

metalcrazy

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2002
Visit site
Still Life and Blackwater Park.
i never actually took the time to figure out the stories. i know their must be one behind them, for obvious reasons.

BWP doesn't have a story.

Still Life is (I'm pretty sure) about an angel that falls in love with a mortal woman, and gives up heaven for her, only to be rebuked.

still life is about a religious exile who comes back in-country 15 years later to see his old flame Melinda. despite the fact that she's married, they fall in love all over again, but then the religious zealots of the town find them (there is some speculation here as to whether they kill Melinda on the spot, that is, in "serenity painted death") and hang (at least) the narrator.

Originally posted by morganm
Still Life is (I'm pretty sure) about an angel that falls in love with a mortal woman, and gives up heaven for her, only to be rebuked.

I think that's what that one movie with Nicolas Cage was about...:p

I think in Still Life, the narrator was some angsty kid who never fit in with the religous folk and was driven out. Then 15 years or something later he comes back to get her, and she's engaged or married or a nun or who knows, but she's in a position not to just run away with some man. And the townspeople start to recognize him. He takes Melinda away secretly and she admits her love, they d0 it, etc... Then he wakes up to voices, Melinda isn't by his side, and I think right then he sees them killing her and he snaps and starts murdering everyone he can until they beat him down, and then the next morning he's hanged.

That's taken from my opinions and various interviews. Read the Lamentations of the Flame Princess interview where Mikael talks about the concept, that's the best one.

BWP has no story.

Hmmmmm... Not an angel but a demon I'd say!
"Outcast with dogmas forged below, Seared and beaten, banished from where I was born"
Sure doesn't sound like he came from heaven!

it's definetly not about an angel...more like someone who's been exiled for some reason (cursed? "wearing my death mask at birth")

he was in love with a girl called melinda when and comes back to see her but she's already been married. However she stills loves him and so she has secret "meetings" with him. They soon get found out and they're both killed

the end.

Originally posted by bleed for me

cursed? "wearing my death mask at birth"

That's a good one, never heard that before.

I still don't get the Benighted part of the story. And when Mike was asked about it, he said something like "The story doesn't matter anymore." :mad:

I always figured the narrator killed Melinda because she couldn't leave with him. I'll pay more attention the next time I listen to it.

"wearing my death mask at birth"
...could be that he was an angel cast out of heaven, and stuck in a mortal body...thus it's his death mask.

"Outcast with dogmas forged below, Seared and beaten, banished from where I was born"

What is a demon, but a fallen angel? Banished from heaven (where he was born), and outcast because of his sinful ideas.

Of course, we can't really *prove* anythig without the word of the writer...

"wearing my death mask at birth"
...could be that he was an angel cast out of heaven, and stuck in a mortal body...thus it's his death mask.

What is a demon, but a fallen angel? Banished from heaven (where he was born), and outcast because of his sinful ideas.

Of course, we can't really *prove* anythig without the word of the writer...
I'll still go with the mortal whose been in exile.

OK, what if Melinda was a nun.

:err:

:lol:

For some reason, when this was thrown at me the first time, it made sense. Oyo, remember the "Harlot of God" thing? You caught that, right? (or was that sarcasm? ;)) I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it though. A girl I've been trying to get to this list said some things about the storyline of Still Life that I've never really thought of before.

"Branded a Jonah with fevered blood,
Ungodly freak, defiler"

OR MAYBE HIS MOTHER WAS THE NUN!! I've yet to really figure it out. The gist of it is he was cast out many years ago from his home town and was in love with Melinda. When he returns she's vowed herself to another (God?) but I think they meet up in the woods later in Benighted and after that hope to sneak off together but the counsel of the cross catches them and kills her on site and then he battles the townsmen until they shackle him and sentance him to death in White Cluster. (Great live!)

No, BWP doesn't have a storyline. "My Arms, Your Hearse" does though. Check that one out too if you haven't yet.

in MAYH, you have the dead narrator's soul descending from the "sobriety of the immortals", not in still life. in still life, the narrator is an exile.

and i guess "wearing my death mask at birth" is a poetic way of sayin he was cursed.

the still life story always reminded me a bit of the book Wuthering Heights. Specially since the first song is titled "the moor"

I know theres no real connection, just sharing a thought.