Still Life Story

Dec 27, 2006
Just wondering if a 'definitive' sort of narrative existed that fully explained the story behind Still Life? There's one on Wikipedia, but I just wondered if there were any more detailed ones about?

Nothing's wrong with that one, just wanted more detail. I guess it is just lyrics, so there's probably a bit of listener/reader interpretation; it's hard not to think of it as a narrative, as the story element is so strong and complete.

Well what you have to remember about Wikipedia is that any idiot can come along and edit it, so the synopsis that's on there is just what some random guy has come along and written, and so it's their interpretation really. Personally I think if you just read the lyrics closely enough it's all there. Some things are up to interpretation, but there's not much to add to what's already there really.

Not just 'a random guy'. A bunch of random guys.

Also, if you're quite able to go and change what it says your self if you do not agree with it.

I think it fits well enough.

In many ways, a bunch of random guys could be worse and one random guy. As you say, you can change it yourself, but then so can any idiot. But more to the point, there's no source for that synopsis other than the lyrics themselves, which means that it's just an interpretation of them, there's no reason to take them as correct.

Is there anything in particular that you're not clear about story-wise?

In many ways, a bunch of random guys could be worse and one random guy. As you say, you can change it yourself, but then so can any idiot. But more to the point, there's no source for that synopsis other than the lyrics themselves, which means that it's just an interpretation of them, there's no reason to take them as correct.

Is there anything in particular that you're not clear about story-wise?

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only interpretation to count on is your own.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only interpretation to count on is your own.

Well, or that one if you agree with that interpretation...

Their interpretation is in no way wrong.

If it doesn't satisfy you, fill it in yourself. :)

Sorry for the repeat but I didn't get an answer in the other thread. What is everyone's intepretation of what 'Still Life' means in the context of the story?

Funny you should ask that. Just today I was thinking of a line in The Moor:

"Wearing my death-mask at birth"

Which draws a comparison between the protagonist and a stillborn child, though rather than being born dead he is alive in a society which does not want him so he may as well be dead... Or, perhaps a better way to say it, he's been dying since the day he was born.

I am not phrasing this well, but those were my immediate thoughts.

"Wearing my death-mask at birth"
Which draws a comparison between the protagonist and a stillborn child, though rather than being born dead he is alive in a society which does not want him so he may as well be dead... Or, perhaps a better way to say it, he's been dying since the day he was born.

That's correct. Anyway, to answer the threadmaker, I'd say that the definition on Wikipedia is... good, but there could have been more details, on interpretations. They put the essential, like a summary. I think I understand most of the lyrics in "Still Life" (beautiful album name) and I could write it down. All that to say that no, the only way to understand this whole story is to read it a lot of times and to find all what he meant to say (a lot of hidden stuff here). Good luck!

Yeah individual interpretations are the key. That's why I don't like Opeth videos, it is sort of forcing a certain perception.

An example: when I hear Moonlapse Vertigo I picture a ninja-like silhouette sneaking up to an ancient building with a lantern Tenchu-style. Wow that sounds really bad in writing haha.