What's with that announcement?

Killerah

Sep 28, 2005
I just noticed it, and it seems fairly poorly thought out and unimformed as far as creationism goes. That is, who among us (Christians) thinks that the flood killed the dinosaurs? I do, and last I checked, the flood was a fairly long time before Jesus was around. This Ken Ham guy seems to be pretty dead on about this whole subject in my mind. I haven't read all those articles, but I've seen a few videos where he was explaining this stuff and I really agree with all of what he said (in the videos I saw).

I dunno, well I was just wondering where that announcement came from, and how long it's been there? Maybe I'm just behind the game and didn't notice it until now, but whatever.

What are you guys' thoughts on the subject?

Announcement? Link please.

Edit: Ah, I see, on the message board main page. I never even notice those when I'm checking out the page. I thought you were talking about some news story. Carry on!

I have heard that Gen. 6:4 refers to dinosaurs. "There were giants in the earth in those days..." but I won't say that is what that verse means, cuz i don't know.
others say "giants" means something else....

I registered here only to find out I could not reply to that announcement...

Anyway, try Job 40 & 41. There are creatures described there (Behemoth & Leviathan) that do not exist anymore. The description of the Behemoth comes close to the Brontosaurus and some other dino's. :)

For some nice reading, check this site: http://www.evolutionisdegeneration.com/index.asp?PaginaID=2577
It's about how evolution cannot possibly exist (at least not in the way Darwin suggested). And it's totally scientific too.

started reading it.....that's pretty awesome.
I like when science can support scripture.
This ranks with "The Bible Code"
which reminds me...I actually have "the bible code" program...I just haven't installed it yet....

Giants refers to giant men. As for dinosaurs, Kent Hovind, a popular creation speaker, asserts that it is likely that dinosaurs were taken on the ark, but died out later. He points to examples like a king having a person in the position of "royal dragon feeder."

This dieing out is probably due to human intervention, as we've killed other species. It is an interesting point to think about, but it will take a lot more than dinosaurs for someone to think they've disproved the Bible's veracity.

nor is it the main context of the Bible in the first place, so even refuting their inclusion in the book makes a less than infinitessimal difference to the message of Jesus.

Of course. But there are lots of people who really get in doubt by those kind of statements, only because there are too few christians who have a decent answer. Just do a little search on 'creation' and 'evolution' and be shocked by the solutions some bring. I mean, lots of people do come to the point where they think: 'Ok, creation is a myth', while it's evolution which is the big lie.

On a side note: there are quite a few things to be found in the Bible which display a divine authorship as they have a scientific background of which there was no knowledge at the time it was written. Two things:

Genesis tells of two phases of creation: the creation of the universe and the creation of life. Now we know that the universe might be as old as 12 billion years (although I believe God could have created a 12 billion year old universe, but I do really enjoy the magnificancy of the evolution of starsystems), while the theory of degeneration, which I referred to, states that life exists only a couple of thousands of years. Why the two phases, other than to tell a pretty accurate story?

The Ark Noah built, has a length-width ratio of 6:1, which is now pretty common in shipbuilding as it has been proven to be the most stable ratio. At the time the Ark was built, the common ratio was 2:1 (and has been so for centuries).

I'll agree to that, and I do not believe that Creation and Evolution, or for that matter Religion and Science, are mutually exclusive entities.

God gave us brains. I severely doubt we are intended to throw away the gift of conscious intellect.

BM said:
while it's evolution which is the big lie.

Yeah, that was pretty fanatic. I'm just pretty frustrated that over and over again young christians are confronted with evolution as a fact, already proven or about to be proven. And yes, that makes me fanatic, but my fanatism isn't directed as much towards people who believe in evolution as towards the ignorance of lots of christians on this point.

Main message:
The theory of evolution contradicts lots of observations, where the theory of degeneration does not.

The Bible does not contradict the age of the universe or the existence of dinosaurs. (Not at all indeed.)

These two points have been a great help for me as a christian and that's why I write it down here. It might help others as well. The Bible just isn't as ignorant towards science as most people think. ;)

anexanhume said:
Giants refers to giant men. As for dinosaurs, Kent Hovind, a popular creation speaker, asserts that it is likely that dinosaurs were taken on the ark, but died out later. He points to examples like a king having a person in the position of "royal dragon feeder."

This dieing out is probably due to human intervention, as we've killed other species. It is an interesting point to think about, but it will take a lot more than dinosaurs for someone to think they've disproved the Bible's veracity.

but, werent dinosaurs around way before humans were?

ya gotta read the whole thread

edit: I didn't want you to think I was taking a shot at you....but I think you came in to the topic late and missed the announcement at the top of the page that this thread sprang from.

BM said:
Genesis tells of two phases of creation: the creation of the universe and the creation of life.

Yeah those first couple verses throw some people for a loop...

Aw heck who am I kiddin', cover to cover some just simply fall by the way side (unfortunately)...