What's your favorite Opeth album?

What's your favorite Opeth album, and why?

• Orchid

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Morningrise

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Still Life

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Damnation

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
shark22 said:
+1 for still life being overrated. To me still life is the weak link in the opeth front. None of the songs really stand out. I thought the masterpiece was morningrise. I know that is the album that got me into them. MAYH has more of an essence to it than anything on still life. Besides the intro to moonlapse vertigo it's boring as sh**. The songs all have this similar sound to them, and it gets old fast.Other forums seem to like BWP the best.

I really have to agree, I know it's not popular here, but SL just doesn't do it for me...beginning to end at least. There are some very cool parts throughout, but overall it pales for me compared to all the others. MAYH was in that category for me for quite awhile...somehow it finally hit me after many listens, it is awesome...but still in a different way.

Also agree about "Morningrise"...quite a masterpiece even if it is on the raw side. Maybe that's part of the draw for me? I also like the more refined stuff like BWP and "Deliverance"...so many different sounds and styles makes it hard to not appreciate everything they've done... :headbang:

Seth

Seth'Peth said:
I really have to agree, I know it's not popular here, but SL just doesn't do it for me...beginning to end at least. There are some very cool parts throughout, but overall it pales for me compared to all the others. MAYH was in that category for me for quite awhile...somehow it finally hit me after many listens, it is awesome...but still in a different way.

Also agree about "Morningrise"...quite a masterpiece even if it is on the raw side. Maybe that's part of the draw for me? I also like the more refined stuff like BWP and "Deliverance"...so many different sounds and styles makes it hard to not appreciate everything they've done... :headbang:

Seth
I agree, you have to appreciate everything they have done. They are one of the most diverse bands ever. Each album has a different essence or "personality". You really have to admire that. :cool:

I don't have a favorite album, how could you??, I mean it's just too hard to choose. They are all masterpeices in their own right.

Damnation is my absolute favorite. The reason is because after my mother died, I was introduced to Opeth through Damnation. That album just helped me in so many ways. I look at that album as more of a positive thing than depressing. My second favorite is Blackwater Park though. :D

Hey guy, sorry to hear that.

My favourite one is "still life" because it's the most adorned, refined and epic album of them all.

Deliverance....because that shit is just met.

The atmosphere is just absoultely amazing. The songs are are thick layered and Lopez's drumming as just...awesome in this album...everything in this album is blended well and it is also the first Opeth album I listened to.

1. Still Life
2. MorningRise
3. Orchid
4. My Arms, Your Hearse
5. Blackwater Park
6. Deliverence
7. Damnation

and its hard to rate them... because even damnation is one of my favorite albums.... but at the moment I love the old stuff.