What's your favorite sounding album?

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
What's your favorite album in terms of how good the production/mixing is?

Mine would have to be The Poison by BFMV, Colin Richardson's mix is amazing.

hard to narrow it down but I'd probably say Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Seperation. Sounds absolutely massive, I'm a big fan of bass heavy mixes where the guitars and bass blend really well.

Sound_awake.png

If I had to pick a single one it would have to be Tron: Legacy.

Listening to 'Lost in the Sound of Separation' for the first time now. Is this a Bendeth production? Sounds like it has the same kick and snare he's used on everything I've ever heard by him. Also really overcompressed and fatiguing to listen to, which is generally another giveaway. And the guitars seem to have 20dB more 400hz than everything else, which is usually another one.

if i had to pick a single one: a perfect circle - 13th step

other honorable mentions:

linkin park - meteora
metallica - garage inc/load
prodigy - fat of the land
michael jackson - off the wall
steely dan - aja

and as far as metal goes: arch enemy - anthems of rebellion/ lamb of god - ashes of the wake

If I had to pick a single one it would have to be Tron: Legacy.

Listening to 'Lost in the Sound of Separation' for the first time now. Is this a Bendeth production? Sounds like it has the same kick and snare he's used on everything I've ever heard by him. Also really overcompressed and fatiguing to listen to, which is generally another giveaway. And the guitars seem to have 20dB more 400hz than everything else, which is usually another one.

haha yeah, he mixed it. I love that overcompressed sound personally.

I think my favorite is Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra

and Ermz you are right, Bendeth indeed mixed Lost in the Sound of Separation

I dont have ONE single favorite, but I can narrow it down to three.

Nickelback-Dark Horse
Dead Letter Circus-This Is Warning
Gojira-The Way Of All Flesh

Can't really pick one out of all genres, so may as well comment on some of the ones mentioned so far haha.
Surprised to see so much love for the Underoath album.
Gives me a headache listening to that. Everything is just so forced upfront that it loses half the punch and power.
It sounds good initially, but after a few minutes you begin to realize it's not that great.
Has some decent sounding bass guitar tone, but that's it really.
The latest Underoath record sounds WAY better, but musically even more boring.

Same with Paramore's "Riot!" record. Sounds good initially, but just doesn't compare all that well to many other heavy guitar based records out there and has a somewhat lifeless sound to it, although it's not as over compressed and smushed sounding as the Underoath album.

At least as far as metal goes, "The Way of All Flesh" is probably my favorite.
It isn't as 'technically' good as Stabbing the Drama, but I find it a tad easier to listen too, and well, musically way better anyway

in flames clayman, soilwork stabbing the drama, nickelback dark horse, and nevermore dead heart for me.

Trivium`s "ascendancy" and "shogun" albums. very balanced.

the two latest in flames if we have to go downtuned, dont get why people hate those? they are organic and real sounding, atleast for polished albums.
old school vibe, creamy and lush.

The absence "enemy Unbound"

guess i like it a bit mellow and fuzzy.

taste vary :wave:

DevilDriver - The Last Kind Words

Just something about that bass. It's really clunky and it adds a certain edge to the guitars. And theres pretty much zero clipping.

In no particular order :
In Flames - Clayman
Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama
Underoath - Disambiguation
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Opeth - Blackwater Park and Watershed (wouldn't use Watershed as reference though, because of the really washed-out but really vibey mids)
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
and last but not least, the new Betraying The Martyrs album coming out, hats off to Charles and Phil.

edit : forgot a really important one (to me) : Ion Dissonance - Minus The Herd. Not the best mix technically, but one of the mixes that captures the best a band's vibes.