What's your favorite sounding album?

Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash. Heavy, and I talked to the producer via email, 0 samples, all natural through analog and tape. It sounds amazing. Same with Sex, Love, and Rock and Roll.

Sound_awake.png

+1

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44U0ddz78Ys&feature=related[/ame]

Retains a great deal of imperfection and as such impossible to replicate. But that's just my opinion.

Mantric the Descent:

Orphaned Land:

Angelspit:

Lamb: Fear of Fours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is mainly metal forum I'll list only metal albums.

At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Dark Funeral - Attera Totus Sanctus
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
Shining - Blackjazz

And maaaany more!

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream (hasn't aged one bit)
Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity/The Fathomless Mastery
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
Cannibal Corpse - Kill/Evisceration Plague
Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds (Vader cabs :))

Well since we're posting YT clips and picking more than one record, why not...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63VwWz1ij0&ob=av3e[/ame]

Listen to how good those old Nordstrom analogue productions were. It's the closest thing I've heard to Randy mixing in the metal realm. Those things were all vibe. Who'd have known that metal production would largely degrade into tapping on woodblocks with icepicks attacking your ears for the next 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go against the flow and say Tool's Lateralus sounds much better than 10k Days to me. The tones of the instruments are just so much more interesting on Lateralus. They sound like vibrant green and purple, while 10k Days always sounds more like a duller brown and red to me.

Aside from that, here's a short list of my other favorite sounding records:

Creed - Full Circle
I don't really like Creed, but this album sounds massive. I love everything about the way it was produced, and IMO totally kicks Load/Reload out of the ballpark as far as rock productions go.

Devin Townsend - Ki
I know it's not metal, but there's something about the way this thing was recorded that really sounds incredibly full, warm and organic.

Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Favorite metal drum tone, hands down. I'm also a sucker for that hyper-compressed layered sound, and this one just goes above and beyond with it.

Morcheeba - Big Calm & Gorillaz - Demon Days
I love everything about these albums. If I ever produce a pop album, these are going to be my main references because I think they have the perfect balance between the vocals and the instruments.

Opeth - Watershed

I'll have to second this, I really enjoy the mix on that album.

Also
Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire
Ayreon - 01
Nevermore - DHIDW and TGE
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
In Flames - Clayman and Come Clarity.

I want to say Axioma Ethica Odini by Enslaved, but it feels a bit overcompressed at times. Probably a bunch of other albums I don't remember right now.

If I had to pick a single one it would have to be Tron: Legacy.

While I think there's no way for me to just pick one, this would definitely be in my top 10! Such an amazing sounding soundtrack.

I think it's hard to just pick one because every mix out there is unique, and fits within it's own context (well, a lot do anyway haha)

That's a hard choice....
I'd have to say Haste the day's When Everything Falls.

Ghost Reveries from Opeth here as well.

Also like very much the overall sound of Blind Guardian's Imaginations From The Other Side. It's an old record, I know, but I envy those drums so much! Plus, Blind Guardian's lead guitar tones are absolutely breathtaking!

Pretty much anything CLA, Ballou, Albini + Wallace do are good in my book.

+ oh, and thanks for the love on the Betraying the Martyrs album. I can't wait until it drops so you guys can really hear the magic that record is....