What's your favorite way to add some "vintage"

That sounds really good! Much better than the stock mix. Man I can't wait to get these guitars reamped so I can send out this backing. I actually got a call today that the Fathead II got backordered about 2 weeks... :\ so I guess I'll just do some 57 reamps cause I don't want to keep you guys waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running it through some outboard or out to a desk for summing would be the best bet for de-digitizing it. Sometimes it's what you need.
That Vintage toy plug-in is cool but it's effect can be a bit drastic. Go easy with the mix knob on it.

I like to use the Variety of Sound stuff. NastyVCS is a good one- it has a good saturator on it. I like to use Tessla too, it does seem to affect the stereo width of stuff though- If I use it on a hard panned source then I get a little bit of sound coming from the other side which narrows the stereo effect a little. Not much but enough to think twice about using it on some stuff.

That sounds really good! Much better than the stock mix. Man I can't wait to get these guitars reamped so I can send out this backing. I actually got a call today that the Fathead II got backordered about 2 weeks... : so I guess I'll just do some 57 reamps cause I don't want to keep you guys waiting.

Cheers! I Just passed the song through my neve with ''silk'' on. Then bounced with VTM. Thats it.

Listening to that mix I'd have to say that having two guitars hard panned playing different things rarely works. I'm not sure but that might be the thing the refer to as "not vintage".

Personally I'd duplicate both tracks and add a varying delay of 7-14ms on the duplicate tracks. Then mess with the panning so that each guitar tracks has it's pair.

What kind of 'vintage' records have you been listening to?

I fail to see how adding phase issues and jerkin' off with ms-delays helps to bring any 'vintage-mojo' to the track.

Spin a Beatles' record sometime... plus I didn't write the parts, so I'm sure he's not referring to that. lol.

Haha I actually listen to a lot of Beatles. :) I just personally didn't feel like your mix was overly modern in any way. I just assumed something that might be all wrong. :)

What kind of 'vintage' records have you been listening to?

I fail to see how adding phase issues and jerkin' off with ms-delays helps to bring any 'vintage-mojo' to the track.

That's out of context. :) It's just a trick you can do to make stereo sound more mono without losing the width. I promise there'll be no phase issues if you pan that scheisse.

That sounds really good! Much better than the stock mix. Man I can't wait to get these guitars reamped so I can send out this backing. I actually got a call today that the Fathead II got backordered about 2 weeks... : so I guess I'll just do some 57 reamps cause I don't want to keep you guys waiting.

Go ahead if you want, for sure, but that fathead might help your cause here quite a bit, and I know I don't mind waiting at all. If your clients are cool for waiting on the fathead, I'd say give it a shot.

I like the PSPMixSaturator myself over the Vintagewarmer and pretty much everything I've EVER tried so give that a try. There's a couple of tape settings, valve, and even digital sounds really good. You can pinpoint frequencies you want to soften and they come out better by some voodoo magic in that plugin. You WILL KNOW what I mean when you try every knob, something happens that brings back some kind of memory of records & tapes.

I also like the Soundtoys Radiator on drums and just a tiny bit on the mix will make a difference. If you are careful, you could add a lot of heat to some of the tracks or even the mix. The PSPMixSaturator with do a LOT though, almost like going back and doing a complete remix. Pretty good plug. I think it will come out better than the VintageWarmer mixed one.

I like the PSPMixSaturator myself over the Vintagewarmer and pretty much everything I've EVER tried so give that a try. There's a couple of tape settings, valve, and even digital sounds really good. You can pinpoint frequencies you want to soften and they come out better by some voodoo magic in that plugin. You WILL KNOW what I mean when you try every knob, something happens that brings back some kind of memory of records & tapes.

I also like the Soundtoys Radiator on drums and just a tiny bit on the mix will make a difference. If you are careful, you could add a lot of heat to some of the tracks or even the mix. The PSPMixSaturator with do a LOT though, almost like going back and doing a complete remix. Pretty good plug. I think it will come out better than the VintageWarmer mixed one.

I saw that on the site, yeah I was curious of that. I'll see if I can try that one out too, thanks!

I mixed my band's first record over the summer, and I was using the Decapitator on EVERYTHING. We do two piece raw garage blues rock style music, so it needed to sound very raw and vintage, despite that we recorded it in a studio. Worked like a charm. I'd strongly suggest the Decapitator.

+1 on the PSP Mix Saturator.

Didn't listen because I can't but I always like using a softer and more vintagey compressor on the master bus. Charles dye says use subtle saturation on all of your tracks.