What's your take on recycled/borrowed riffs?

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
If you really analyze alot of metal, you would find that 80% of stuff is derivative of other music... such as the iron maiden "gallop" so evident in every goddamn iced earth song.

Does it bother you?

It doesn't bother me, i just think "Goddamn, that's done well", like the duhduhduh duhduhduh duhduhduh riff in "Flesh and the power it holds", it's a new take on an old idea.

Thats ok, what bothers me is when the one person rips himself off.

Take for instance, the middle of Iced Earth's Damien, and the outro of Demons and Wizards' Heaven Denies. I mean, come on Schaffer, what the fuck was that all about?

Originally posted by Trapped
If you really analyze alot of metal, you would find that 80% of stuff is derivative of other music... such as the iron maiden "gallop" so evident in every goddamn iced earth song.

Does it bother you?

It doesn't bother me, i just think "Goddamn, that's done well", like the duhduhduh duhduhduh duhduhduh riff in "Flesh and the power it holds", it's a new take on an old idea.

evry kind of music is goddamn derivative!

but sometimes this thing goes a little too far and a new group literally copy other ideas.

iced heart is one of these!

maiden clone!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dunno. iced earth are a really great band. schaffer does recycle almost everything. hahaha
have u guys ever seen jeff recyle riffs? hahahaha shouldve put this in the nevermore vs iced earth thread

I don't think its that bad....

I mean you will hear a lot of drum beats that every drummer will use, simple ones that you hear in tons of songs, and noone cares. The Verve used one guitar riff from Rolling Stones in their hit song and got sued for everything. I don't get why it matters that much for guitar. Not that they should just use old riffs though...

Originally posted by TrueBeliever
I don't think its that bad....

The Verve used one guitar riff from Rolling Stones in their hit song and got sued for everything.

infact the verve is shit!!!!!!

they suckin major cocks!

corporate assholes!!!

ffffuuuuccckkkkkk!!!!!!

:yell: :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell:

...Uh... Rusted... I think we've already established that Iced Earth are a bunch of riff-copying riff copiers.

np - Iced Earth :D

In Iced Earth's defense though, when you've been writing music for as long as Jon Schaefer has, you kind of start running out of ideas. But then again, if you were really a good musician, you should be able to keep coming up with ideas. It's a double-edged sword really.