When did you stop believing in god?

So if anyone fabricates evidence to make me look like I killed somebody and I go to jail for that does that mean I am a murderer?

I don't think so.

No it doesnt make you a murderer. But since the ultimate truth is not available to anyone, what else can you do but look at the evidence and come to the conclusion to which it points?

EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING....

THE SAFETY WORD HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, PLEASE LEAVE THE THREAD.

6-mascot-14.gif

^When the current model stops relying on make-believe particles, I'll subscribe to it. Sorry, Dark Matter is a leap of faith. They are supposed to announce having found Dark Matter in the next few days anyway. At that point, if I feel convinced, my mind will be changed significantly.

And i don't feel certain about anything. WTF man, I state my opinion and everyone goes haywire.

^When the current model stops relying on make-believe particles, I'll subscribe to it. Sorry, Dark Matter is a leap of faith. They are supposed to announce having found Dark Matter in the next few days anyway. At that point, if I feel convinced, my mind will be changed significantly.

And i don't feel certain about anything. WTF man, I state my opinion and everyone goes haywire.

It is not a leap of faith to believe in something that there is empirical evidence for.

It would be a leap of faith to believe in luminiferous ether.

It is not a leap of faith to believe in dark matter.

I'm cool with you stating your opinion, but find it odd that you seem to state that no proof is possible so you essentially believe in nothing as even "as currently understood" holds absolutely zero sway over how you feel about any particular subject.

Everyone has an opinion, but lacking proof we all have to take all the information we have, at any given time, and make choices. It seems like a convenient out to suggest that by believing in nothing, to hold all information suspect, is just a easy way of deflecting responsibility or commitment.

I unsure how anyone can take that response seriously as I'm pretty sure you do indeed have beliefs, that absence of proof, that you still believe in things whether you want to admit it or not.

Essentially you are saying is you are a nihilist - which I'm perfectly fine with - it's your life. Enjoy!!!! (oh - wait a second, perhaps joy is not really that nihilistic.... oops). :D

No it doesnt make you a murderer. But since the ultimate truth is not available to anyone, what else can you do but look at the evidence and come to the conclusion to which it points?

That's exactly my point. Evidence =/= truth. In the end, we do have faith in science and we think it's going to work in most of things, and like the wise sloth says:

-Science’s only agenda is reporting what it’s observed. It’s just looking at what’s happened in the past and saying, “I bet if we did that again the same thing would happen.”-

We can trust our freezer to make ice cubes because that's been observed and experimented for years. You can't measure, observe, experiment god.

That's exactly my point. Evidence =/= truth. In the end, we do have faith in science and we think it's going to work in most of things, and like the wise sloth says:

-Science’s only agenda is reporting what it’s observed. It’s just looking at what’s happened in the past and saying, “I bet if we did that again the same thing would happen.”-

We can trust our freezer to make ice cubes because that's been observed and experimented for years. You can't measure, observe, experiment god.

If God is claimed to measure the physical world, you can observe.

You can say we have "faith" in science as a method of inquiry, but its like saying I have faith in the fact that I will not fall through the floor. You just dilute the word so much that it is useless and encompases nearly everything.

You can say we have "faith" in science as a method of inquiry, but its like saying I have faith in the fact that I will not fall through the floor. You just dilute the word so much that it is useless and encompases nearly everything.

nice 666 post

What's wrong it it?

What's wrong it it?

If faith is the belief in something without material evidence, and you do the opposite of that (search for material evidence and use it, ie. science), then it can't be faith. And if you DO call it faith, then you have a condition where both faith and the opposite of faith are BOTH called "faith." It is contradictory.

If faith is the belief in something without material evidence, and you do the opposite of that (search for material evidence and use it, ie. science), then it can't be faith. And if you DO call it faith, then you have a condition where both faith and the opposite of faith are BOTH called "faith." It is contradictory.

Ok I'll not call it faith then I was giving just an example. I only said faith once btw.

Falling through the floor is highly unlikely to happen because you never hear about people falling like that. I'm saying that we believe in science, thanks to observation and experimentation like the article posted previously says. I'll believe in science and not religion but claiming that "science is the ultimate truth" like neil degrasse says it's fucking stupid. Science is not the absolute truth like many people say.