When the new Hammers of Misfortune album arrives

JayKeeley said:
What's a good benchmark for determining how deep within the underground a band exists? Put it this way -- "The Locust Years" didn't get leaked until AFTER the official release. (By the way, the leak is missing "Widow's Wall", haha).

I don't think there was an official promo mailout. I think the Pharaoh album was handled the same way. A very few people (not "journalists", but friends) got a copy several weeks in advance, and the first pressing went directly to The End to go on sale before being sent out to the press.

As for the leak missing a song... heeheehee. Screw you, downloaders. :D

Jim LotFP said:
I don't think there was an official promo mailout. I think the Pharaoh album was handled the same way. A very few people (not "journalists", but friends) got a copy several weeks in advance, and the first pressing went directly to The End to go on sale before being sent out to the press.

Ah I see. Thing is, I did end up getting an 'actual' cardboard sleeve promo out of the blue, a few days after my real copy from The End showed up, and several weeks after the CD-r. So either way, Cruz del Sur were not expecting much press / reviews until after the album was officially released. Just seems a little topsy turvy.

Then again, the release date in Europe is pushed out so perhaps the promos are primarily for the euro folks.

I ordered mine directly from Cruz Del Sur because I am from Germany and it's going to be released here only in September or so. I got the cardboard-promo along together with my order.

I think the lyrics are great, for one simple reason - I know how difficult it is to be poetic when you're angry.

Cobbett says something about the lyrics on the band's board: they are to be the key to understand some of the things that are ciriticised within the music, such as the repetitions somebody mentioned above.

Still..I don't entirely get it, especially the "three kings" - I mean, the four horsemen and two faces are quite clear, but...:erk:

...or is it easier for native speakers?

Occam's Razor said:
I wonder what you guys think of the lyrics this time. Is it too simple to read them as sublte political criticism?

I had the same question. It couldn't possibly be that straightforward, could it? But I see a lot of 9/11-related anti-Bush sentiment here.

What I thought apart from that was, with this cynical "united we stand" imagery, one could again refer it to music scenes as well, just like it was the case with "The August Engine". But the widows wouldn't fit in there anywhere I guess...

Cobbett was thinking about the Big Three when talking about "three kings".

Notification sent out by Earsplit PR, looks like LotFP still has some clout.

~ The Locust years ~

The eclectic and versatile (Gwar, Ludicra, Slough Feg, Amber Asylum, Jarboe) guitarist John Cobbett from San Francisco gave birth in the late 90s to Hammers Of Misfortune, previously known as Unholy Cadaver. Later in 2001 the band released their first full length album The Bastard, an epic tale told in three acts with three distinct characters / voices, on Tumult Records.

Critically acclaimed, the album was voted among the top 40 releases of 2001 by the writers of Terrorizer magazine. Lamentations Of The Flame Princess declared 2001 to be "the Year Of the Hammers" and named The Bastard Best Album, Best Concept Album and Best Overall Packaging.

In 2003 the band signed a deal with Cruz Del Sur Muisc, releasing their second opus The August Engine by the end of the same year. The response was again awesome. The August Engine was voted by countless writers at major metal magazines such as BW&BK, Metal Maniacs, Unrestrained and more as the greatest metal achievement in years, the best album of the year, best metal concept album ever, and so on down the line, making it one of the most important heavy releases of the time.

In 2005 HoM began the recording of their third album The Locust Years, under the supervision of Justin Weis at Trackworx Studios which is finally released, again via Cruz Del Sur in June 2006 (US) and September 2006 (Europe). The Locust Years brings the creative song-writing of The Hammers to an upper level, through the creation of a complex Rock Opera in which several different elements perfectly complete each other. Echoes of Yes, Pink Floyd and in general the legacy of 70s progressive rock are mixed with Hammers’ trademark of originality and love for uncommon solutions.

The dramatic, bitter sense of tragedy that surrounds the album makes it a masterpiece that goes beyond the term of “Metal”, to a wider meaning: The Locust Years is the perfect soundtrack for our souring times.

Interviews are highly encouraged and fully supported so bring me your requests! Tour dates are in the works as well. Stay tuned, and all hail the Hammers...

- - - - - - -
HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE - The Locust years - cruz15

* Features Mike SCALZI of Slough Feg on vocals
* Intense live activity in support of the album release
* Wonderful cover artwork designed by NYC Artist Thomas Woodruff, digipack edition
* Top-priority release for Cruz Del Sur Music, 1000 promos

LINE-UP:
John Cobbett – electric, lead and acoustic guitars
Mike Scalzi – vocals, guitar
Jamie Myers – vocals, bass
Sigrid Sheie – acoustic and electric piano, Hammond B3, backing vocal
Chewy - drums

DISCOGRAPHY
* The Bastard (Tumult, 2001)
* The August Engine (Cruz Del Sur Music, 2003)
* The Locust Years (Cruz Del Sur Music, 2006)

Review is written, over a page long in 6.5 arial font. :) Would be fun if it is controversial (and if it is it's not for anything I say about the band).

Hopefully just another week or two till the issue drops. :)

I spoke to Ross Sewage yesterday and he told me that Mike Scalzi quit Hammers to concentrate entirely on Slough Feg.:cry:

Zealotry said:
I spoke to Ross Sewage yesterday and he told me that Mike Scalzi quit Hammers to concentrate entirely on Slough Feg.:cry:

Well, you could see that one coming from a mile away. No surprise really, but yes, 'tis a huge shame. No Scalzi, no Tanaka, no Chewy, no Jamie....is there anyone left? :ill:

JayKeeley said:
Well, you could see that one coming from a mile away. No surprise really, but yes, 'tis a huge shame. No Scalzi, no Tanaka, no Chewy, no Jamie....is there anyone left? :ill:

Just the guy that writes everything and makes it all go. :p

I'm more curious now about what the next album will sound like, whenever it may be ready. It won't be sounding similar to the last two with all vocalists and the drummer changed. So no danger of stagnation. :)

... here's hoping Rock Jack's singer isn't recruited to filla spot. hehe

I'm sorry, but when he can't sing in tune with the song, when he sings its as if he's singing to a different song (he's often on a completely different beat... and no its not offbeat, its not any other kind of a musical beat... its just off), and the guy cannot sing any intended scales for a song.... I just can't accept it.

You are used to slick metal singing, which is not the kind of school Scalzi comes from in the first place. Read , for example, the interview he did with Jim where he sees himself in a crooner-tradition. He is also a singing guitarist, not a guitar playing singer. Not a great voice, but a charismatic one.

Aren't you the guy who praises the new Voivod album? - Snake is THE anti-singer, even though the charisma-thing goes for him as well.

If you hear Scalzi out of tune, you should maybe consult Jim's doctor in Finland...:lol:

Cheiron said:
I'm sorry, but when he can't sing in tune with the song

Now you just being plain silly. :loco:

when he sings its as if he's singing to a different song (he's often on a completely different beat... and no its not offbeat, its not any other kind of a musical beat... its just off), and the guy cannot sing any intended scales for a song....

damn, that's EXACTLY the main appeal of Scalzi -- it's "stream of conciousness" style singing. I mean, "Doomed Parade" could be one of the best HoM songs ever just because of that particular vocal delivery.

What about Thin Lizzy? Phil Lynott pretty much had this style nailed and I'm sure was a huge influence on Scalzi (along with Brocas Helm obviously).