Hammers of Misfortune

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
'allo...

Did the interview last night (conversation went 2.5 hours, but we got ot talking about stuff that I don't know would be all that usable, definitely a good 2 hours of interview material though), so that will rule supremely.

Also got the promo today from the label, and LotFP was used for a pretty decent promo blurb on the back... about 2001 being "Year of the Hammers", and getting best Concept, Packaging, and Album for the year... woohoo!

Jim,

I've literally been blown away by the Hammers of Misfortune since reading your review for The August Engine. Everyone needs to hear this band IMO since they seem to cover such a wide spectrum of styles. I've since hunted down both their albums and the Unholy Cadaver demo.

Problem is, it's reasonably difficult to describe them in a simple forum post (which is what I've been desperately attempting to do in the RC forum) and I was wondering if you could publish your HoM reviews here in your forum? That way, I can point people this way to read your rather more elaborate descriptions...

Thanks,

JK.

This band have most of the right ingredients for me. But something is wrong with the recipe.

The concept and execution (though the drums are sloppy in places) are fantastic but I have a hard time getting my head around those awful female vocals. I can forgive the demo-ish production since I appreciate they're working on a limited budget, but I feel the best is yet to come from this band. Hopefully in the future they'll have a circumstance that will allow them a decent budget to put their obvious potential to good use.

Lee_B said:
I can forgive the demo-ish production

I so loved the production. Didn't sound 'cheap' to me, just sounded like someone didn't take pro tools to it and then make the sound as painfully sharp as possible.

As for the female vocals, well, there are points on The Bastard where I MIGHT agree with you, but I love them to death all the way on August Engine..

Jim LotFP said:
Going to be cruel.

Remind me when the next issue comes out, and I'll put the latest review of HoM up then. :)
OK fair enough. :)

Then I'll proceed to ask you something else. My recent love affair with the Hammers has led me to The Lord Weird Slough Feg (I guess it was gonna happen eventually), and I've just bought Traveller and Twilight of the Idols.

In any case, with all the reading that I've been doing on Mike Scazi and John Cobbett, it's difficult to find info on them without references to Manilla Road. I'll now admit to not owning a single Manilla Road album, in fact, I've never even heard a single song of theirs. Am I missing out? And if so, where should I start?