when will new mac pros be released?

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
hey guys I am saving up money for a mac pro.
But at the moment the price difference between a quad and a eight core is just to big.

So I wanted to ask, if there will be new mac pros released in the near future?

I have now the money for the new quadcore
with a second 1TB HD and 16gb of ram.

I will wait after the xmas boom is over but should I wait a little longer because of some serious price drops?

I dont want to spend 2.8k€ for a computer just to realize if I have waited one month longer I would get a much better cpu for the mones?

help!!!!

Aparently the new ones are just around the corner... and Intel will introduce Sandy Bridge technology, wich I don't know if it will make any diference for audio applications, hopefully it will. I've heard people saying they should be released early next year, maybe in the first two months? Don't know...

Take a look at this.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Another 2-3 months.

I don't think it's worth it to get anything other than an 8core Mac Pro, though.

I dunno dude... I have a quad core 2.66 from 2007 that is still runnin' strong.. doesn't even hiccup when running a plugin heavy session. If I was gonna buy today though I'd definitely go 8 core.

I wouldn't ever plan on seeing price drops on the Mac Pro... unless you plan to buy refurb when the new ones come out, because all the old stock gets a price slash and gets moved to refurb to make room for the new stock

We have a dual processor quad core mac pro on the studio I work on and it fucking slays. Only plugin that really moves the processor utilization is FG-X. Worth every penny.

I dunno dude... I have a quad core 2.66 from 2007 that is still runnin' strong.. doesn't even hiccup when running a plugin heavy session. If I was gonna buy today though I'd definitely go 8 core.

I wouldn't ever plan on seeing price drops on the Mac Pro... unless you plan to buy refurb when the new ones come out, because all the old stock gets a price slash and gets moved to refurb to make room for the new stock

Yeah, a quad-core would probably be fine for him, but your machine has 3-4 years of it's life already behind it - if he's buying today, I don't think it makes sense to get a machine that's already a couple years behind the curve.

Agreed on the refurb stuff, though - I got my iMac i7 for $1650 since it was the previous model, and all I missed out on was .13ghz of processor speed and the ability to pay like $600 more to have an SSD installed.

thanks guys.

on a side note:
todays quads have nothing to do with the 2-3year old quads or eights.
these are the new i7 cpus which are way superior to the old cores

but yea I dont want to shoot myself because I waste 1k.
so I will wait 1-2 month

holy shit, they have 12 cores now. for a hefty 5 grand

I've read that you can upgrade the older mac pro cpus to anything that is a clovertown processor. I think 3.0 ghz quad core 5365 are the fastest you can get... but the cheapest I can find them is $725/ea. I just don't know if $1400 is worth it

I found a mac cpu benchmark tablet.

it says that the mid09 mac pros quad is faster then the late08 eight cores.

it also shows that the difference in performance between 08 quads and eights isnt that big.

on the other hand the new 8cores are more then 1/3 faster the quads and.

the new 12cores are more then 7times faster then my 2007mbp :)

but I wont pay 5k for an computer

What kind of tests were these? Low latency tests, or CPU handling tests? Latency won't differ much between quad/eight core Mac Pro's, but the eight core should be able to handle twice the plugins at higher sample-rates.

I think it is a simple performance test.

The thing is: 16gb of ram will improve the performance with big session a lot.
Especialy with logic 9 beeing 64bit.
So this alone will bring an imense performance push.

So I know it will be the right choice to buy a new mac but the thing is.
I dont want to check my mail in the near future only to see apple released a new mac pro for the same money I payer like a month before....

I know myself I would be FFFUUUUUUUUUU for a half year

Forget a price drop for the mac pro's...I always see the minimum price at 2600€, also if it's a refurbished one.
The only place where I've seen some good prices is eBay but it's not a secure place for a mac pro I think.

na,
my budget is 2800€.

I know that macs dont get cheaper, they disapear:)

I dont want to spent 2.8k on a new machine only to find out (if I waited a month) I could get a machine with a way faster cpu for the same price.

That being said, I cant find anything on the www. about any news about new macs.

I think this new intel-stuff will be released in the last quarter of 2011.
I need to wait for one band to pay the bill. Then I am good to go.

So guys I think I´ll order this baby in the first week of january:

Mac pro quad with 3,2ghz
16gb of ram
2x1tb hdd

what do you say?
Is this a machine that will serve me well in the next 3-4years?
(thats the time my 2007mbp has on its shoulders)

So guys I think I´ll order this baby in the first week of january:

Mac pro quad with 3,2ghz
16gb of ram
2x1tb hdd

what do you say?
Is this a machine that will serve me well in the next 3-4years?
(thats the time my 2007mbp has on its shoulders)

It really depends on what you use it for, but I often track at studios that are still running G5's and they get the job done just fine. If you need a new computer, just buy it and be happy using it. Of course the next gen Mac Pros will be better, but what does it matter, really? Those, too, will look old when the generation after that is released.

so true.

Its just the thing $$$$
I could buy so many awsome other things with that much cash.
But I am in need for a new computer.
And I need a mac because (I like them and I use a metric halo interface)

So thats the reason I am so extremly picky.
It annoys myself to be that way.

Thats the reason I posted it in the off-topic tavern.
Because its more a personal thing of spending that much cash on a computer then about the mac itselve :D

Don't buy RAM or hard drive upgrades from Apple. They are grossly overpriced. The 16GB memory upgrade from Apple ($1775) can be bought here for $500

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

The stuff is so easy to install, especially in the Mac Pro, you pop open the side, attach the hard drive to one of the bay brackets and slide it in. RAM is just as easy, you pop out the cards, pop in the new RAM, put it back in.

That machine should easily last you 4 years if not longer.

haha here in germany I have an apple premium seller who listed the 16gb ram update for 242€. That would be equal to $300.
And I am going to order a Samsung 1tb hd @amazon. Its 57€.

But thanks for the tip. With apple add ons its like with waves plugins. NEVER BUY THEM AT THE SOURCE :D