When you buy music, how do you do it?

Mardoch

Defender of the Universe
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
So I just got this stack in from Ken:
SAM_0838.JPG

And it made me wonder, how do you guys go about building your libraries?

I tend to make a list as time passes and then buy a ton in one go when I have spare funds. I have a feeling that sane people don't do it this way, because after this kind of haul it can take me up to a work week to listen to everything.

I have a weird habit of not liking to only purchase one cd, always need to purchase at least 2 whether in a physical store or online

Spent the time to rip my 2000 cds to MP3s and don't have the space to add a third wall unit, so straight MP3s for me now. I fondly remember the days of receiving a box of cds though :)

I tend to make a list as time passes and then buy a ton in one go when I have spare funds. I have a feeling that sane people don't do it this way, because after this kind of haul it can take me up to a work week to listen to everything.

That is pretty much how I operate when getting my music. If I have to go through the hassle of mail ordering it, and paying shipping, might as well just order a whole friggan stack like that and get it shipped all at once. Plus I like to wait until several good albums have come out to make it worth it to order a bunch up like that.

Beyond that, it is Amazon MP3 and/or eMusic or FLACs off of Bandcamp whenever possible. I did just order that new Aryeon album off of Amazon, through a part of a larger order I put in for Christmas shopping. If I got to get it shipped, might as well get a couple of albums along with it. Also nice that on Amazon, they had that "Auto Rip" thing, so I was listening to the album via MP3 download until the actual disc arrives.

I see that Lance is going to have some 30% sale off of everything on his Nightmare Records site through this Thanksgiving and "Black Friday" weekend, so I may take advantage of that this weekend and order a bunch of albums there.

I have been doing Bandcamp stuff lately too. I have a pretty serious djent addiction, and there's a lot of those guys whose primary distro is through Bandcamp. I still much prefer to own physical stuff.

The other time of year I stock up is at the fest. Cause no shipping and the prices are unbeatable.

I'm looking every week. I put in orders 1-3 times a month. Usually go to www.lasercd.com first. Those guys are awesome. I always keep an eye on Amazon, though their import prices can get crazy. I'm always buying though as I can't handle the huge stacks.....there always seams to be a few CDs that get lost and I don't get to them for a long time.

The other time of year I stock up is at the fest. Cause no shipping and the prices are unbeatable.

That is why I pack as light as possible when I go to the fest, so I can fit all the damn CDs that I end up buying back in my luggage. I got it to the point that I pretty much don't even pack a T-shirt for Saturday and Sunday as I will most likely buy them there (at the very least the "official" ProgPower shirt, which I typically wear on Sunday for the trip home). That is also why you always seem me wearing flip-flops the entire festival. Don't need to pack any socks.

And speaking of huge CD hauls - this was from when Ken was having that "blow-out" sale back in August:

lasers-edge-CD-haulSmall_zpsa1bf2edd.jpg

MP3's and iTunes for most bands or for old releases. If it's a new release of my favorites I try to get the bundles or specials with shirts and posters. I'm a bit of a sucker for getting band shirts like that.

I'm looking every week. I put in orders 1-3 times a month. Usually go to www.lasercd.com first. Those guys are awesome. I always keep an eye on Amazon, though their import prices can get crazy. I'm always buying though as I can't handle the huge stacks.....there always seams to be a few CDs that get lost and I don't get to them for a long time.

Lasercd is boss, that's where this stack came from. They're my go-to now.

22:54:25...the sum total of listening from my latest haul. That's probably going to take me a work week to get through, lol.

I get you on packing for the fest. It's pretty much undies, socks, and a shirt for me. The undies and socks serve as padding for the discs when they get packed.

I'm an idiot, I pick and choose one at a time usually based on what I read here and elsewhere. I'll read a write-up, go check them out on youtube or amazon to get samples and order what I think I'll like most. I can usually get most stuff from Ken, but some older material I can pick up through Amazon marketplace used. I've been buying a lot more mp3 this year too. I'm all over the board with music purchases anymore. I doubt I've ever ordered more than five discs at a time.

Ark - Burn the Sun. Great choice!

I keep a spreadsheet with a couple of pages. Artists I follow, artists to research, artists to buy. And a list of CDs I definitely want (I think there's 200+ on that list currently). Always get one or more from every PP artist every year, if I don't already have them. And I read about a lot of stuff on this board and listen to the videos posted - if I like them, add them to the list. This board costs me a lot of $$$, but it's still cheaper than my motorcycle hobby. Often I'll look for side projects of artists I really like. That's like opening Pandora's box for some prolific artists.

When I do buy I usually buy a stack at a time. Try to follow sales at the smaller shops but also buy CDs on Amazon to hit the free shipping minimum when getting something else.

I still buy CDs although I need a new storage mechanism. Planning on getting a couple of cabinets from can-am.ca soon. To get lossless digital files would take a ton of diskspace and most of my listening systems are primarily CD based. Plus I like reading the liner notes while listening sometimes.

Ark - Burn the Sun. Great choice!

I keep a spreadsheet with a couple of pages. Artists I follow, artists to research, artists to buy. And a list of CDs I definitely want (I think there's 200+ on that list currently). Always get one or more from every PP artist every year, if I don't already have them. And I read about a lot of stuff on this board and listen to the videos posted - if I like them, add them to the list. This board costs me a lot of $$$, but it's still cheaper than my motorcycle hobby. Often I'll look for side projects of artists I really like. That's like opening Pandora's box for some prolific artists.

When I do buy I usually buy a stack at a time. Try to follow sales at the smaller shops but also buy CDs on Amazon to hit the free shipping minimum when getting something else.

I still buy CDs although I need a new storage mechanism. Planning on getting a couple of cabinets from can-am.ca soon. To get lossless digital files would take a ton of diskspace and most of my listening systems are primarily CD based. Plus I like reading the liner notes while listening sometimes.

I've actually...possessed...that album for a long time. This is the first time I've seen it for purchase for non-insane money, so I had to have the real thing. I got a Japanese copy of the S/T late last year so now I have them both for real and it makes me happy.

I'm 100% with you on both bikes and this forum. At least what I buy as a result of this place I can rationalize away as a work expense as it's all I listen to all day while I work.

Your method seems both very efficient and very time consuming. I dare not go down that road or I will own a shed just for discs.

It depends. Sometimes I'll pre-order a few new releases. Other times I'll stock pile (like if I'm at a fest or I see a sale). Other times, I'll do downloads (but only for a test run) and if I like it, I'll buy it.

That is why I pack as light as possible when I go to the fest, so I can fit all the damn CDs that I end up buying back in my luggage. I got it to the point that I pretty much don't even pack a T-shirt for Saturday and Sunday as I will most likely buy them there (at the very least the "official" ProgPower shirt, which I typically wear on Sunday for the trip home). That is also why you always seem me wearing flip-flops the entire festival. Don't need to pack any socks.

And speaking of huge CD hauls - this was from when Ken was having that "blow-out" sale back in August:

lasers-edge-CD-haulSmall_zpsa1bf2edd.jpg

The first year I went to the fest I had no clue what I was doing and honestly I have no clue how I made it out with any cds. I was totally unprepared.

Ever since though I do the exact same thing you do where I don't even pack shirts as I know I'll be buying some at the fest.

I will say though this past year I went overboard and had to get another piece of luggage to make it out.

So I just got this stack in from Ken:
SAM_0838.JPG

And it made me wonder, how do you guys go about building your libraries?

Btw, that Spastic Ink is awesome. I'm usually not a fan of instrumental discs but those boys make it so damn interesting.

Yeah. I have my eye out for a copy of Ink Compatible. That's another of those old school illicit acquisitions. I love the Jarzombeks. They're my kinda madmen.

Most of my music purchases tend to come in clumps, either with online ordering or festivals. Sometimes, with more mainstream releases, I'll buy some individually.

The problem I'm running into now is lack of space for my CD collection. I need to get rid of some of my CDs and go more digital, but I also need to find good sources for FLAC, since that's how I like to archive my music collection. I need to see who is on Bandcamp...