When you buy music, how do you do it?

I love the collecting side of things, so I only buy physical products. According to my spreadsheet I average 293 discs - new and used - a year over the past decade. A good 25-30% of that comes from ProgPower, which I save my pennies for all year.

I totally get why people go all-digital, but my brain will not let me go that route.

That's impressive. I don't buy anywhere near that much, but I'm more or less with you on the physical vs digital part. I understand why digital but I just have to have the disc if its an option.

I believe in Amazon's case the album only thing means you can't buy that track singularly. It only comes if you purchase the entire album. I'm not 100% on that, though.

Ahhhh! Seriously? I thought it meant CD only. Well, that's good news. Thanks for letting me know.

I have an eMusic subscription too. I've been using it since the days when it was a number of downloads (I had the 90 downloads/month at $20/month plan). They since changed to the current "dollars and cents" model.

If you want to check sound quality, choose "save link as" instead of listening to the sample track. It will download an m3u file, and you can play that in itunes or winamp or whatever - which will allow you to check how the track was ripped. If you check several tracks and the max bps is around 230 then it was wither ripped by Fraunhofer or LAME preset standard. Not good, especially the Fraunhofer rips as they are clipped at 15 Mhz. Your ear can hear up to 20. It pays to check the sound quality before downloading from them.

I almost always get CDs online. I really wish I could enjoy record stores more, but on the rare chance that I go to one I normally leave empty handed because I always think about how I could get it cheaper online. Unless it's on eBay, in an actual store, or directly from a band, normally I don't buy just one CD in one transaction. Sites like Amazon, CM Distro, Grooves-Inc, etc normally get me with their free shipping offers, so I wait until there's enough releases i want that will equate to a free shipping deal.

I love the collecting side of things, so I only buy physical products. According to my spreadsheet I average 293 discs - new and used - a year over the past decade.

So at 300 discs/year, you must have a couple thousand at least. How do you store them?

I've been eyeing some cabinets from can-am.ca but need at least two so that's a big spend. Haven't seen anything else that is as nice looking, easy access, and space efficient. What's in your listening room, Justin?

I'm old school as well give me a physical cd any day over downloading. I buy from Lasercd, Impulse music, Ebay, or I go to a music store on the south side of Milwaukee called Exclusive Company and they have a really cool metal section all on its own.

I buy locally from the FYE sometimes too. They actually have a pretty credible metal section. I've found several nice gems there over the years.

So at 300 discs/year, you must have a couple thousand at least. How do you store them?

I've been eyeing some cabinets from can-am.ca but need at least two so that's a big spend. Haven't seen anything else that is as nice looking, easy access, and space efficient. What's in your listening room, Justin?

I have about 3500 discs. They're in wood shelves from Leslie Dame (for my money the best on the market). I have two 1500s and a 500 and they line an entire wall in my basement.

I buy locally from the FYE sometimes too. They actually have a pretty credible metal section. I've found several nice gems there over the years.

Having worked there, yes they do but it has diminished somewhat. The plus side from talking to the managers is I guess over the last few years they've gotten deals with labels, which is why the metal stuff tends to be cheaper than the other cds in the store.

I actually did a review of it a while back, if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2RVGPUC6UA6KZ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I'm, um, a bit thinner now. :lol:

That was awesome. I am in awe of your collection. Mine is miniscule by comparison, lol. And grats on the shedding of lbs.

If they hold up to your usage then I would have no problem dropping the cash. It's probably not that different a price than making similar shelves yourself. Have you tried their spinning storage? Those looked really awesome.

That was awesome. I am in awe of your collection. Mine is miniscule by comparison, lol. And grats on the shedding of lbs.

If they hold up to your usage then I would have no problem dropping the cash. It's probably not that different a price than making similar shelves yourself. Have you tried their spinning storage? Those looked really awesome.

They hold up well in my opinion. I still have the first one I bought back in 2002 and it has survived two moves.

I haven't tried their other products. This line worked so I stuck with it.

I have about 3500 discs. They're in wood shelves from Leslie Dame (for my money the best on the market). I have two 1500s and a 500 and they line an entire wall in my basement.

Thanks for the info, appreciate the reply. I took a look at those and unfortunately they won't work for me because I don't have a spot with enough wall space. Well, I do, but it's in what's now my wife's office which is why I need to find a new solution.

Thanks for the info, appreciate the reply. I took a look at those and unfortunately they won't work for me because I don't have a spot with enough wall space. Well, I do, but it's in what's now my wife's office which is why I need to find a new solution.

Look, if it's a choice between fewer CDs or a bigger house, I think the answer is clear. :p

Look, if it's a choice between fewer CDs or a bigger house, I think the answer is clear. :p

Oh, fewer CDs is definitely not the answer. The choice is just a different storage mechanism. Eyeing a couple of these, that should do the trick:

cd-storage-cabinet-dvd-storage-cabinet-open_cddvd002.jpg