When

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
See Parasite, I really listen to the people here :p

Alright people... time for another song call-to-arms... if I am not mistaken, When was the runner up to Black Rose Immortal on our last song tournament... and rightly so... this is one killer of a song.

The start... it's just one of those melodies that you want to go to sleep to... then before you know it, Opeth are ripping it up and Mikael is shitting down your throat!!! The song leads into one of the most energetic melodies to be found within Opeth's arsenal... and who can get past lyrics like 'This day wept on my shoulders. Still the same as yesterday. This path seems endless, body is numb. The soul has lost its flame.'....

The song is filled with entwining acoustic and electric melodies swerwing you from emotion to the other, taking you through the narrator's morbid trip... and finally it finishes and lays you to rest with such disturbingly beautiful lyrics as 'When can I take you from this place? When is the word but a sigh? When is death our lone beholder? When do we walk the final steps? When can we scream instead of whisper? When is the new beginning, the end of this sad Madrigal...'

Thoughts?

This is probably my faviroute song on MAYH. Mikael oozes emotion out of every pore in this song. I especially love the imense death scream at the beginning and the outtro. I almost cry every time I hear the agonized dirge at the end.

The funny thing is, for a long time...It was probably my least faviroute MAYH track. It was only when I really payed attention to it and forgot about everything else that I truly appreciated it.

I especially like the live bootleg of this. They don't often play it...but I sure hope they do when they come to Sydney...

that goddamnbastard.org site offers two bootlegs of When from when Opeth played in Paris this year and some other place. I have them- makes me long for an all MA,YH concert one day -- probably wiill never happen, though.

Anyway, When is the first Opeth song I ever heard. A very lovely introduction, i'd say.

:lol: Nice word arrangement, Moony. :lol:

I notice that Don. What I didn't notice was this thread! UGH! I can't stand how many I miss. Today is truly a day of indulgence though, and lookey here. A thread to comment on "When".

I think this goes back to "first album" love. (If I could see this played live...you might as well dig me a hole, because I'd die happy that day.) When with Madrigal right after it was the first incredibly moving piece of music I had ever heard. So, there ya have it. It's so fkn sentimental to me, I couldn't even describe it.

I like how growly the growls are due to a cold I believe. The double bass lines throughout!! "Walking in familiar traces!!!" One of my most favorite Opeth acoustics parts is in this song at 2:50. I love where the story is going in "When". The confusion and sadness. I can't help myself. Some might say I'm nutty when this songs on. "Demise..." What a great voice AND that double bass closing!!!

CAN YOU STAND IT??? A DOUBLE ALBUM SOON!!!
Peace!.gif