When's the next announcement??

He seems to consistantly pull out the most badass lines. Of course, there are hordes of people who claim that 100% of the basslines are written for him, by Mikael, but I'm not one of them.

One of the times I saw Opeth live, I focused on him for the entire show, and was just as entertained if not moreso than the other times I've seen them.

Wow...that's just complete bullshit!! At times, I'm sure Mikael may have ideas of what the bass should be doing when it's a focal part that intertwines with the guitars or drums...cuz it's a critical part of his musical vision or whatever...and then he may show Martin what he's thinking. BUT, I'm sure Martin still incorporates his own style...plus, when Martin is filling and playing within those rhythms, there's no way that Mikael tells him exactly what to play.

Actually, Mikael has even mentioned in interviews that he thinks he's very fortunate to have found musicians who are on the same page musically...just so he does NOT have to tell them what to play.

I thought Ghost Reveries was a damn fine release.
In all honesty, I liked it better than the previous one.

I seriously wonder if the backlash from the underground community had anything to do with the label the disc was released on.

I don't like it because it's a dumbed down version of their sound. There are so many "chugga chugga" parts where, on past releases, there would have been interesting, complex riffs.

But that could just be a result of what Mikael was inspired to do when writing the album. I certainly wouldn't want every Opeth album to sound the same.

I personally really like GR...and I do think that the fact that they went to Roadrunner influenced people's opinions...people already had certain expectations before they even heard one note.

IMO, I think GR sounds more like a throwback to the 70s prog rock era than anything Opeth has ever done (with heavy shit thrown in of course to make it Opeth-style)...and maybe that's why you think it sounds dumbed down. 70s prog rock can have that simpler sound/feel sometimes, but it's the atmosphere & effect which exudes that can be quite amazing when done right...and I do think Mikael did a great job capturing that feel on GR.