Where Are They Now?

Yeah, something's been lost with the way kids (and some adults) are doing shit now. Spotify replaced mp3s + Last.fm for a lot of people, but without the social features so listeners stopped chatting to each other. Maybe the metalhead kids are doing selfie vids on TikTok and whatnot, but music fans can't really engage with social media feeds full of videos without pausing what they're listening to, so it's dumb.

I guess other young headbangers have gone the Discord route. Seems like a regression to me, back to the MSN Messenger group chat days when you all had to be online at once with lots of time to bother reading each other's drivel.

I hate Reddit because of its algorithms and every thread going dead within a day. You couldn't have such a thing as RC's 'The Official Doom Thread' there, that's for sure. If you wanna read nearly every post/comment made in a subreddit you'll find yourself scrolling over the most liked ones numerous times. I guess if somehow I found myself on hundreds of Facebook posts/groups with deep and meaningful discussions then I'd have similar difficulty with that, but for now FB is chilled out, shallow and easy.

Even as a bona fide introvert I find it hard to top just going to live shows to maintain a slither of camaraderie with musicians and music-loving peeps I know.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Yeah, something's been lost with the way kids (and some adults) are doing shit now. Spotify replaced mp3s + Last.fm for a lot of people, but without the social features so listeners stopped chatting to each other. Maybe the metalhead kids are doing selfie vids on TikTok and whatnot, but music fans can't really engage with social media feeds full of videos without pausing what they're listening to, so it's dumb.

Something was definitely lost with the transition to mp3s and then streaming. Convenience does not always make for a better experience. Many have also streamlined their internet socialization into social media networks like Facebook. It's easy to have it all in one place but something is missing. Facebook groups have replaced forums for a lot of people.

I guess other young headbangers have gone the Discord route. Seems like a regression to me, back to the MSN Messenger group chat days when you all had to be online at once with lots of time to bother reading each other's drivel.

I have some interest in this, but I prefer the forum environment where you can take your time to post and have a long-standing archive to interact with. I mostly used MSN Messenger to play Age of Empires :lol:

I hate Reddit because of its algorithms and every thread going dead within a day. You couldn't have such a thing as RC's 'The Official Doom Thread' there, that's for sure. If you wanna read nearly every post/comment made in a subreddit you'll find yourself scrolling over the most liked ones numerous times. I guess if somehow I found myself on hundreds of Facebook posts/groups with deep and meaningful discussions then I'd have similar difficulty with that, but for now FB is chilled out, shallow and easy.

Reddit is the worst.

Even as a bona fide introvert I find it hard to top just going to live shows to maintain a slither of camaraderie with musicians and music-loving peeps I know.

Even that has become harder recently, but it was never something I could depend on because I've often resided in very rural, isolated areas. It's strange, but forums have, since my teenage years, been one of the only places where I can actually connect with people over shared interests. Niche forums dedicated to music or certain historical time periods have often been my only way to socialize with people about things I love that no one I know in real life does. I actually have memories related to forums and get nostalgic when I see old posts or users who are no longer active. Some forums have folded altogether. I doubt I'll feel that way about posts in Facebook groups. I also like the relative anonymity of forums (something else Facebook lacks).

I suppose people like instant gratification and having everything in one place without having to create a separate username and password.

If you e-mail Deron he'll get your old account back. He got me mine back even though I don't have the e-mail I registered with anymore.

If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would gladly do so! My brain is mashed taters these days.