where do you download?!?

blackened533

The Stormrider
Feb 19, 2002
I'm from Canada eh?
Visit site
alright everyone..... im just wondering what program everyone uses to download their music
i live in a part of north america where you cant just go out and buy a DT or IF or CoB album at the store.....
in fact ive never actualyl seen an album from any metal band......:(

i get my music from kazaa right now..... and audiogalaxy before it shut down.......
what is the best downloading program?

There is something called Soul Seek, I have only heard of it, it's not for music only, but I heard it's mostly music.
Try ordering from the net btw

IRC (mIRC if you want to pretend to be tech retard) is good if you have the time and patience to play the ass-kissing game with the immature channel operators.

AudioGalaxy used to be best, nowadays I use several filesharing programs like Kazaa, WinMX and Blubster to get the stuff I need. Direct Connect is perhaps best, but it's a bit like IRC although it's not nearly as plagued by the immature operators as IRC. In Direct Connect most channels although impose a share limit, so you have to have several gigs worth of stuff to share to other users too.

There is also a program called "fuck-off-pirate-if-you-have-no-intention-of-buying-albums-and-don't-give-me-bullshit-about-not-being-able-to-buy-others-use-mailorder".

Originally posted by General8
IRC (mIRC if you want to pretend to be tech retard) is good if you have the time and patience to play the ass-kissing game with the immature channel operators.

AudioGalaxy used to be best, nowadays I use several filesharing programs like Kazaa, WinMX and Blubster to get the stuff I need. Direct Connect is perhaps best, but it's a bit like IRC although it's not nearly as plagued by the immature operators as IRC. In Direct Connect most channels although impose a share limit, so you have to have several gigs worth of stuff to share to other users too.

hehehe o yea lets just send him into installing suse and using bitchx to download songs, lets make things harder than they already are for newbies :lol:

Maybe one day you'll run into one of the scripts i made you wise bastard

It is good practice to mention that IRC is a network and mIRC is just one program that can be used to access it. Especially since as far as I know mIRC can nowadays only be used for 30 days without paying 20 US dollars. There are plenty free IRC clients out there that I'd rather see recommended than mIRC.

The main point, however, was that most of the channels are operated by 14-year olds (mentally if not physically) and in order to get anything you have to be "cool" and ass-kissing for a while. IMO it's not worth the trouble, especially compared to Direct Connect (DC++ recommended, open-source implementation) which works in a bit similar fashion but is tailored for file downloading.

The main point, however, was that most of the channels are operated by 14-year olds (mentally if not physically) and in order to get anything you have to be "cool" and ass-kissing for a while. IMO it's not worth the trouble, especially compared to Direct Connect (DC++ recommended, open-source implementation) which works in a bit similar fashion but is tailored for file downloading.
You obviously are completely clueless on the matter.

No, I have personal experience on the matter. I admit, I did not have the time and energy to do a thorough investigation. But the whole attitude of the mp3 channels I did visit seemed to be just the same as of the 'warez' channels when I last time actively IRCed (about 7 years ago I think).

So, if the poor fellow has similar experiences when he's trying to find albums in IRC, he might remember that Direct Connect offers a more reasonable alternative.

i can dload quite easily from irc channels and i never even spoke to the operators. i'm not sure what is this ass-kissing general8 mentioned, but afaik you just have to request a song and wait in line until it's your turn. yes, it's a tad boring and sometimes unnerving, but in most situations you're sure to get what you want. there's tons of files shared, and almost every musical style is covered.

does anybody have a list of server/channels for different sorts of music?

rahvin. (finds this thread interesting)

hmm i never DLed something via irc. i always thought one had to ask some guy in there to hand over his IP address and give access to his mp3s, and you do the same for him... seems not.

Originally posted by VultureCulture
hmm i never DLed something via irc. i always thought one had to ask some guy in there to hand over his IP address and give access to his mp3s, and you do the same for him... seems not.

ok, this is basically how it works. you join a channel and you see a list of operators, then users "voiced" (the + sign to the left of the nickname), then normal users. chances are all voiced users and some ops are fserve, ie, the ppl with the goodies. ;) other ops are just bot to protect the channel from abuse, and yes, some of them are childishly annoying implementing stupid rules.
scripts enable all fserve to periodically write on the channel a status message showing how many files are serving/queued and a banner message usually showing what they're playing now. basically this is only gonna help you find out who's offering mp3s in the room.
you have two chances: either looking for something specific with the @find <song/band name> command, which scans most/all fserves for matches, or asking any fserve to dload their list of files with the @<nickname> command. the list is always provided without you having to wait in line.
whatever you choose, at some point you have a list of files you might want to download. both in the fserve lists and in the answers to the query, all files are preceeded by !<nickname>, which is actually a command requesting the following file from the user. sometimes the nick after the ! can be different from that shown in the room, because that's the script working, but you don't have to make any changes.
then you retype or copy/paste the whole !<nickname - filename> line and send it to the room: a message follows telling you a couple of things, the most important of which is your queue position, ie, how many ppl are downloading file from that fserve before your send starts. to check queue status later on, simply write @<nickname>-que in the room.
there's not much more to know that you won't pick up along the way or reading some channel rules. :)

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin
ok, this is basically how it works. you join a channel and you see a list of operators, then users "voiced" (the + sign to the left of the nickname), then normal users. chances are all voiced users and some ops are fserve, ie, the ppl with the goodies. ;) other ops are just bot to protect the channel from abuse, and yes, some of them are childishly annoying implementing stupid rules.
scripts enable all fserve to periodically write on the channel a status message showing how many files are serving/queued and a banner message usually showing what they're playing now. basically this is only gonna help you find out who's offering mp3s in the room.
you have two chances: either looking for something specific with the @find <song/band name> command, which scans most/all fserves for matches, or asking any fserve to dload their list of files with the @<nickname> command. the list is always provided without you having to wait in line.
whatever you choose, at some point you have a list of files you might want to download. both in the fserve lists and in the answers to the query, all files are preceeded by !<nickname>, which is actually a command requesting the following file from the user. sometimes the nick after the ! can be different from that shown in the room, because that's the script working, but you don't have to make any changes.
then you retype or copy/paste the whole !<nickname - filename> line and send it to the room: a message follows telling you a couple of things, the most important of which is your queue position, ie, how many ppl are downloading file from that fserve before your send starts. to check queue status later on, simply write @<nickname>-que in the room.
there's not much more to know that you won't pick up along the way or reading some channel rules. :)

rahvin.

thank you. please drive thru :rolleyes: :lol:

I live in North America, and I can go out and buy DT, IF, and CoB at the store

it's beautiful thing, isn't it? :D

:tickled:

i'm glad i amuse you, Michele. =)

i wasn't making fun of your explanation on how to find mp3s on IRC (or mIRC-whatever). i simply thought that it seems like such an awful lot of hoops to jump through just to get some farkin' mp3s from some snotty kids. :p