Where Do You Get Inspiration For Your Songs??

StArScReAm5503

More Than Meets The Eye
Jul 14, 2002
California, USA
Visit site
This is mainly for the Kalmah guys, but if any other musicians want to reply to this go right ahead. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, but i can't come up with anything good, well to me anyways. Everything i write lyrically and musically sounds like shit the day after i write it. and i cannot come up with a decent riff to save myself. Does you just hear music in your head then go play it ??? or what. I guess i cant really ask for help since everyone has their own way of writing music butsome tips would be cool

O yeah just recieved "swamplord" and "they will return" in the mail!!!!:headbang:

i have exactly the same problem. i'm also playing for about 3 years, and now as I'm able to play more complicated stuff and wan't to write some own stuff, i have absolutely no ideas and almost everything sounds crappy...

Originally posted by DirtyKing
i have exactly the same problem. i'm also playing for about 3 years, and now as I'm able to play more complicated stuff and wan't to write some own stuff, i have absolutely no ideas and almost everything sounds crappy...

WHEW!!! i thought i was the only one with this problem. I thought i would get tons of "you're a shitty excuse for a musician" stuff lol

Inspiration for your songs entirely depends upon yourself. I can't just sit down and say "I think I'll write a song now" because it always sounds like shit. Basically, art happens. You can't force it. And as to why it always sounds like shit the next day...Almost all artists think their work sucks. The artist's opinion doesn't mean jack. The viewer/listener's does. Don't throw those shitty songs away just because you don't like them. Learn from them and grow upon them. I also find that times of emotional stress are the best times to create, so the next time someone strips you down naked, rips your clothes to shreds and throws you back into the general population, try writing a song about it.

Lyndrodius got the point. It`s all about inspiration. Another big issue is trying to find and keep the own style. We played our music 8 years until we got the deal, so, be patient and while being patient don`t ruin in waiting that something happens just have fun and play!