Where do you buy your digital music?

Admittedly, when at all possible, I do find I prefer getting the actual CD, buuuuttt, since the question was where do we primarily buy our digital downloads....

My order of preferences are as follows. I start with eMusic, and then followed by Amazon.com. I've also bought the occasional album off of Bandcamp (in FLAC). I've also bought a number of albums off of Mindawn.com as well, also in full lossless FLAC.

Yes, we can go on and on about how people like getting a physical item, or the classic old "what if your harddrive crashes" (umm - have you heard of backups and perhaps even using a cloud service such as iTunes Match or Google Music?), or the quality issues (unless they are playing this on a really high-end system, how many people are actually going to tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a 256kbps AAC, or even that matter between a lossless format or the CD itself? Hell, I get into this argument all the time on the Klipsch forums! There are a few old coots on there that will only listen to vinyl through tube amps on the big corner horns). However, there is nothing that beats the sheer convenience of buying digital downloads. There are no more record stores in this town and Best Buy selection of CDs is now downright pathetic. Unless you are looking for Top 40 crap, you are pretty much not going to find it there anymore (although I was impressed when I saw Unisonic album there as well as the new Periphery album as well!). Thus, unless I want to wait days or even weeks for something to come in through mail order, it is nice to that in a couple of clicks, BAM, I have the music on my server, ready to be listened to. I still like to go on to Nightmare or Laser's Edge and go through a shopping binge and buy several albums from time to time (in fact, I see some titles that Lance just came out with that I will want to get off of him), but otherwise, I am grabbing it off of eMusic! Not only that, but it sure as hell makes it easier to find a title that I want to play by searching my server instead digging through my CD racks looking for something to listen to.

When you buy a software or music, you are not at ALL buying the rights to that media. You're "licensing" the use of that media from the rights holder.

Technically with software you're buying the license to use the software. The media is just how they get it to you.

...also, really? You've never heard of MS doing that? Because I worked in a call center with a division devoted to MS support and it happened literally all the time. Got a License code? They'll send you the install disks. Shit, even Dell/HP/Sony send you recovery media for your computers if you lose them. Adobe has an entire website dedicated to giving out their media.

I'm a mac user and so I have to buy the Office suite separately in order to run Power Point, Word, and usually when I do that the disc comes with 3 installs only.

Oh lawd no. You can use literally any Office CD for Mac and use the Activation code you're given. If you install it on the same machine 3 times, call up MS, explain the situation, they give you a new code.

Source: I do tech work. It's kind of my thing.

I know with iTunes you can re-download previous purchases anytime you want with no extra charge. I'm not sure about the other services.

Amazon has recently started to keep tabs on what you've bought as well, I believe.

iTunes and Amazon. Not going to scroll through this thread to decide which is in or out. I use them 'cause they're easy and I'm lazy. That's it.

edit: And I'm backed up on Carbonite. Works for me.

I'm in the vast minority of people that use Xbox Music (formerly Zune) Pass to rent music. When I really like something, I buy it. In my case, on physical CD from various vendors at ProgPower usually, but I could buy it digitally from Xbox Music if I were willing to let go of the physical format.

They have a pretty decent library. I tend to be able to get most of the ProgPower music the night the bands are announced for the next year. Nightmare records releases are always there, which is awesome. $10/month gets me unlimited streaming to my PC, Xbox, and Windows Phone (coming soon to iDevices and Androids). I believe now there is also free ad-supported streaming, but I don't know all the details since I have the paid version.

Besides streaming, I can download them for offline play on my PC or Windows Phone (or Zune, which they no longer sell). These downloads have DRM so they wouldn't work on any other devices such as iDevices or Androids. But they still fall under the $10/month.

I don't typically do this, but if I wanted to I could purchase this music as a non-DRM 320Kbps MP3 at rates similar to other digital download avenues, which would be playable on any MP3-capable device including iDevices and Androids. So in that way, people that are not all-in with the Microsoft ecosystem could preview anything they want via streaming ad-supported or without ads for $10/month, and purchase individual tracks or albums for offline play on any device.

Amazon has recently started to keep tabs on what you've bought as well, I believe.

Yes, they do. In fact, when you buy something off of Amazon, it automatically goes to their "Amazon Cloud" service. Thus it is available for download anytime you wish, or you could just stream it through their cloud player. I download it immediately to my server, so I have a local copy, but it is cool that I could listen to it through their cloud, as I often do at work (I only have so much space on my iPhone).

I like the fact that Amazon uses DRM-free MP3s. However, they use 256 Kbps files. Currently, I download a CD, sample it, and decide whether to purchase it. The music I download is 320Kbps, which is the same bitrate I use when I a rip a CD. It seems crazy for me to plunk down my money to buy a CD, and then end up with a lower bit rate of the same file.

You could burn the 256 files to an audio ( uncompressed .wav) CD and then re-rip in 320, I do this a lot. Burn4free is good program for uncompressing the files for the CD burn.

You could burn the 256 files to an audio ( uncompressed .wav) CD and then re-rip in 320, I do this a lot. Burn4free is good program for uncompressing the files for the CD burn.

That doesn't restore the quality, just fyi. Any lossy compression method causes permanent loss regardless of how much you upsample.

Yes, they do. In fact, when you buy something off of Amazon, it automatically goes to their "Amazon Cloud" service. Thus it is available for download anytime you wish, or you could just stream it through their cloud player. I download it immediately to my server, so I have a local copy, but it is cool that I could listen to it through their cloud, as I often do at work (I only have so much space on my iPhone).

They've even gone back and added some of the stuff I've bought in the past.

But the cloud player is good for times when I have been parted with my music collection and I really want to listen to something.

Hey Zod - as someone else mentioned, I forgot about the Amazon cloud player. Anything you buy goes to their free service and DOES NOT count against the 5 free GB you get for using it. If you upload other items to it then those items will count towards your space. But if you end up buying 50GB of movies and music and ebooks, you'll still have the 5GB space left for whatever else.

Unless, of course, you're trying to say "hurr durr downloading is bad." ... I'm not making that argument and like Zod said, there's 100000 other threads that have been circle jerked to blisters.

Damn, dude! This is EXACTLY what I meant. And now you’ve outed me because I totally work for Century Media Records.

But really, this is a smart crowd and I was just trying to clear up a misconception, if it existed. I’ll try to not let it happen again. Also, drugs are bad, mmkay.

I was just giving Nailz some <3 for his stance.
I get that. As you know, threads get derailed so easily. And it seems we've discussing the other topics constantly.

However, I'm pretty close to getting a Spotify premium account and just sticking to that for my digital music consumption.
I have a premium Spotify account. However, it falls short in a few areas. First, it doesn't have everything I want. Second, their player is limited (lacks EQ settings). If I have the same music on MP3 on my phone and downloaded (Extreme Quality) on my phone, the MP3s sound noticeably better than Spotify. Finally, I don't currently have a way to play Spotify through my home speakers.

Just so you know, you're not ending up with a better sounding file, only a larger one. If your source is 256Kbps, it can never sound better than a 256Kbps file. The 0s and 1s required for superior sound have already been removed when it was ripped to 256Kbps.

Sorry I was really baked yesterday :loco:
Best apology ever. :lol: