Where do you think it should be?

Lance,

Please do not count out Chicago or Illinois for that matter. I realize that Chicago Powerfest is here but their roster doesn't appeal to everyone either. Nothing against them at all. I think they do a great job. Their fest is more heavy heavy. If you brought more melodic heavy it would be a totally different thing. And their are MANY venues here, too many to even list. in the surrounding Chicago suburbs. Think about it bro!

-Sean

Bottom Lounge in Chicago....holds up to 800 and has amazing sound from what I have heard. In the heart of the city and not in hillbilly land where the pearl Room is. I agree with Q, Powerfest has gone in a bad direction and a fest like this would be great, plus to have it in the city so transportation and hotels are not an issues for travelers.

Ft. Lauderdale is an odd choice yet a very interesting one if you look at it. Down here the best metal venue would be Culture Room. It packs about 400-500 people with a small patio and plenty of bars. Great lighting, and sound. Is obviously a small venue compare to the size of Bourbon or State Theater but is still the home of 100% of metal heads here at home.

Another suggestions would be Revolution in ft. Lauderdale. but that is a bigger enterprise. It has house of blues specifications and capacity.

San Antonio does have a huge Metal scene. You have The Rock Bottom Tattoo Bar, Scout Bar, White Rabbit to name a few venues. I've been to the White Rabbit a ton of times and its probably the oldest venue in SA, great place. Haven't been to the other venues but I heard good things. On top of this Robb's Metalworks, which I know you are familiar with, is based there and he could get a rabid fanbase in attendance. Plus Chris Salinas lives there (Zero Hour) and the new Vicious Rumors singer as well as a ton of great bands. If you go with TX, SA is a great pick Lance.

Texas would be my preference, the Dallas / Fort Worth area to be precise. Although locations such as San Antonio, Houston, or even Austin have things to offer as well.

Spring weather here is generally good -- though I wouldn't rate it as "Florida good" -- and should offer a warmer weather escape from those living in the north. Dallas and Fort Worth are away from the Gulf of Mexico though and don't have their climates moderated by maritime influences as much as Houston or perhaps even San Antonio do. What does that mean? It means that Dallas and Fort Worth are typically cooler in Spring than are Houston and San Antonio. There have been exceptions of course but this seems to be the general rule.

Texas is at least pretty centrally located and it's generally easy for those flying to get here without huge headaches. Dallas / Fort Worth and Houston are served by major airports that have direct flights from many markets. Costs of hotels may be a little better, although I haven't researched it, during this time as Texas doesn't seem to be a hot Spring Break destination with the exception of the Gulf Coast, the Padre Island area in particular and maybe Galveston (though that could be a bit of a reach). If any other Texas residents reading this have differing opinions please say so.

Venues to consider in Dallas:
Palladium Ballroom http://www.thepalladiumballroom.com/
Granada Theater http://tickets.granadatheater.com/
The Door http://www.thedoordallas.com/index2.html

Venues to consider in Fort Worth:
Ridglea Theater http://www.ridgleatheater.com/

Venues to consider in San Antonio:
(note that I've not been to either of these but they do host national acts)
Scout Bar http://scoutbarsa.com/contacts.phphttp://
The White Rabbit http://www.sawhiterabbit.com/main.htm

Venues to consider in Houston:
FBI Rock Club #1 http://www.terranova9.com/fbimusic.htm

The city of Austin has a very good music scene although I generally do not frequent it so I can't comment on what venues would be appropriate for the next installment of this fest. I'm sure there are some Austin experts that frequent this forum so hopefully they will respond.

It's also very likely that John (J-Man) or Tammy might have additional thoughts and suggestions about "the Texas scene" and if it might make sense to consider Texas as the location for Nightmare Metal Fest II.

Drew Carey says it Rocks, I'm up for some feedback on this, had a few bands that were signed early on to Nightmare (Antithesis) that was from Cleveland, and the metal scene at that time consisted of two rooms. But, who knows, maybe things have changed in the last few years. Anyone out there know?

All I can tell you is that Peabody's turned me down for the JOP tour - even on a Saturday night! - because they said that 'traditional' metal acts do not draw on weekends there :err: :confused:. Those nights are reserved for 'nu-metal' bands such as Mushroomhead, etc.

Now, on the other hand The Agora Ballroom had no qualms taking the JOP tour there. So that just goes to show that even in different neighborhoods within the larger markets, there are many music scenes catering to different groups.

Keep it in or around Tampa...but maybe earlier or later...to get away from the Spring Break crowd. If earlier...say Feb...then l can bring my boat down & make it a combo head bang/fishing trip. Later...then it's beachtime ;) As you can see, l want it all my way...lol.

Cleveland has always been more of a hardcore town than a metal town.

They do have a House of Blues now, so are getting more metal than before.

The BWBK fests did ok there though, so I guess as long as the line up is strong, you could get a good turnout anywhere.

How about Jaxx in Northern Virginia? Sure they get most if not all of the metal tours that go through the states, but one of the reasons is that the shows usually draw well. Washington, DC is easily drivable for me here in NC and for people all the way up to NYC. There are 3 major airports in the area to fly into as well.

Another option could be a place like the House of Blues or the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach. You could still target the spring break time period for your beach vacation, Lance. I don't think they have too much going on around spring break season there as March weather in SC can still be hit or miss. They have an airport as well. Just don't schedule it during a bike week!

Keep it in or around Tampa...but maybe earlier or later...to get away from the Spring Break crowd. If earlier...say Feb...then l can bring my boat down & make it a combo head bang/fishing trip. Later...then it's beachtime ;) As you can see, l want it all my way...lol.

You better show up no matter where it is, and that is having it my way hehehehehehehehe

People, no offense, but House of Blues in any town is not an option. Why you ask? $$$$$$$$$$$$ plus you have to do it their way, or no way.

I would kind of hope Texas Madfest would be resurrected or a supporting anchor for this to be two fests.

Ohio area is getting better, Michigan is nothing but crap mostly. Bands like Miles Beyond have the best shot as well as the underground thrash/punk but that leans away of what this fest goes for. Right now the main scene is Hardcore/Screamo :puke:

With what happened at Chicago Powerfest, Id say Lance could just 'suggest' a couple of bands to get on and it would probably happen. Not Nightmare Fest but a damn good powerfest.

I wish I could go to Florida on a spring break but WCC doesn't haven't have 1. So basically my overall decision won't help me at all.

Drew Carey says it Rocks, I'm up for some feedback on this, had a few bands that were signed early on to Nightmare (Antithesis) that was from Cleveland, and the metal scene at that time consisted of two rooms. But, who knows, maybe things have changed in the last few years. Anyone out there know?

You may want to consider Columbus, OH. Alrosa Villa is a cool place. I live in Chicago and drove their often for work, saw a show there and had a blast. They've got inexpensive large beers and a nice outdoor fenced in area to hang out and cool off between bands.

well here are a few criteria we have to consider when we are considering where to do this, it's not just (where demographicly, and geographicly) but some other things we have to keep in mind are.....

1) what is the room willing to do for the event, costs, amenities and extras?
2) how far the room is from the Airport for out of towners?
3) does it have reasonable but nice hotel rooms nearby?
4) is there free parking or public transportation providing easy access?
5) Does the room have food, or a good selection of restaurants nearby?
6) is there a good local metal scene that we can draw from?

well here are a few criteria we have to consider when we are considering where to do this, it's not just (where demographicly, and geographicly) but some other things we have to keep in mind are.....

1) what is the room willing to do for the event, costs, amenities and extras?
2) how far the room is from the Airport for out of towners?
3) does it have reasonable but nice hotel rooms nearby?
4) is there free parking or public transportation providing easy access?
5) is there a good local metal scene that we can draw from?

well....as I suggested. The Bottom Lounge in Chicago would be perfect. to answer your questions.....

1. The room wouldnt be outrageous due to it being brand new and they are looking for ways to book it up. They have a really nice restraunt bar inside.
The room holds up to 700 / 800. The sound system is amazing. One of the bands who played recently said it was the best sound they ever had.

2. It is in the city so getting from the Airport isnt an issue. The Blue Line takes you right by it, or a quick transfer to the Green line.

3. Hotels in the city are always ify with price. The club is in the wharehouse area and bars. not too sure about Hotels but it is the city...there are plenty around.

4. Lots and lots of free parking plus so many ways to get there from public transportation.

5. A pretty good metal scene here in Chicago, basically if the right bands are booked...it will do good. Plus we havent really had a fest in the city limits. Powerfest has always been in the burbs. Alehorn caters to a very small crowd and they dont advertise much to get the word out.

Basically this could be a great thing for the metal scene in Chicago. It would be great to see something happen away from the Pearl Room. There is a huge population of people who dont get out there since they dont have cars who would support this fest for sure.

think about it!!!!

well....as I suggested. The Bottom Lounge in Chicago would be perfect. to answer your questions.....

1. The room wouldnt be outrageous due to it being brand new and they are looking for ways to book it up. They have a really nice restraunt bar inside.
The room holds up to 700 / 800. The sound system is amazing. One of the bands who played recently said it was the best sound they ever had.

2. It is in the city so getting from the Airport isnt an issue. The Blue Line takes you right by it, or a quick transfer to the Green line.

3. Hotels in the city are always ify with price. The club is in the wharehouse area and bars. not too sure about Hotels but it is the city...there are plenty around.

4. Lots and lots of free parking plus so many ways to get there from public transportation.

5. A pretty good metal scene here in Chicago, basically if the right bands are booked...it will do good. Plus we havent really had a fest in the city limits. Powerfest has always been in the burbs. Alehorn caters to a very small crowd and they dont advertise much to get the word out.

Basically this could be a great thing for the metal scene in Chicago. It would be great to see something happen away from the Pearl Room. There is a huge population of people who dont get out there since they dont have cars who would support this fest for sure.

think about it!!!!

thanks for the feedback, we'll do some checking on this, so it's a new room, in town and has free parking?

thanks for the feedback, we'll do some checking on this, so it's a new room, in town and has free parking?

oh yeah. I think Brian Peterson, who also books at Reggies does the booking there. They even have a upstairs outdoor bar area too. Right in the city limits. You can see the tall buildings from it outside. They just had some pretty large shows there these past few weeks. I also know they are not sticking to just one style of music....so that is good.