WHERE SHOULD I GO TO COLLEGE IN FLORIDA?

Jun 22, 2009
St. Pete, Florida
What's a really good Audio Engineering/Recording school in Florida?

I graduated 3rd in my class, 1550 on my SAT, and 4.0.
(if that helps, haha)

and if you have a reason why you chose that school, i'd really like to know! :)

Just having trouble looking for the right college before i choose.

If you like politics, and rich culture go to GWU (George Washington University) or Georgetown! I like politics so that's why I go to GWU. But as a word of caution you might want to stay away from the rather "diverse" areas of DC. :p

There's an SAE in Miami. http://miami.sae.edu/ See if they have any open days for you to take a look at the building and get the idea about the offered courses and costs. Personally I really enjoyed studying at the SAE however I haven't been to the one in Miami. Usually the audio course takes about one year full time or two years half time and you will learn about a lot of different audio related subjects including practical workshops and having to do both theoretical and piratical exams which is great. It's definitely great to start getting into the audio engineering.

+1 to SAE.

Didn't go there after college because I double-majored (AE, then guitar) so after almost 8 years I was worn out from studying (and not seeing a penny)
Their programs seem really cohesive and to the point... not filling up your schedule w pointless rubbish like it can happen in college (happened to me).

Just 1 or 2 years leaves plenty of time for either studying a second career afterwards, or start working earlier to see how the AE goes for you.. you get the point.

Also, they advertise themselves in that you could find jobs or even teach through their different schools around the world.. Dunno about that, but that's what I remember hearing from it.

Still, better seek an opinion from someone who graduated there first if it's the case.

Go to Miami if you must stay in FL and MUST study audio. Actually, for someone w/ grades and SAT's like yours I'd recommend getting a legit engineering degree and studying the audio stuff as a minor or even as a hobby. Those tech schools will cost you an arm and a leg and leave you with no backup. It's better to get a bachelors IMHO.

+1 to SAE.

Didn't go there after college because I double-majored (AE, then guitar) so after almost 8 years I was worn out from studying (and not seeing a penny)
Their programs seem really cohesive and to the point... not filling up your schedule w pointless rubbish like it can happen in college (happened to me).

Just 1 or 2 years leaves plenty of time for either studying a second career afterwards, or start working earlier to see how the AE goes for you.. you get the point.

Also, they advertise themselves in that you could find jobs or even teach through their different schools around the world.. Dunno about that, but that's what I remember hearing from it.

Still, better seek an opinion from someone who graduated there first if it's the case.

I'll look into the school, how's Fullsail? good at all?

Go to Miami if you must stay in FL and MUST study audio. Actually, for someone w/ grades and SAT's like yours I'd recommend getting a legit engineering degree and studying the audio stuff as a minor or even as a hobby. Those tech schools will cost you an arm and a leg and leave you with no backup. It's better to get a bachelors IMHO.

Idk, I just see myself as being able to do anything I really set my mind to. Most careers bore me. 160 IQ, lmao. Anything you'd recommend as something related to the field with a legit degree?

Is 1550 considered high? Do you guys use the 1600 or 2400 point system?

1550/1600, so pretty high.
2400= With the writing.

full sail is a joke, as are most or all of these types of schools.

get a real degree if you insist on going to school.

[UEAK]Clowd;9901916 said:
full sail is a joke, as are most or all of these types of schools.

get a real degree if you insist on going to school.

This.

I was in the top 5% of my class.... somewhere in the top 10, like 6th or 7th, I think. Graduated with above a 4.0 due to the honors GPA system... Trust me, you won't be the smartest person you know forever lol. College steps the game up big time.

Anyways, schools like Full Sail are expensive and they are known for their graduates being extremely ignorant and unable to find jobs. It's really just not worth your time or money.

Putting your intelligence to good use and getting a real degree is way more worthwhile... Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, etc.

Do the audio stuff as a hobby. Put money and time into it and learn on your own. With the kind of job you'll get from a real degree, you'll have plenty of money to do what you want to do.

Idk, I just see myself as being able to do anything I really set my mind to. Most careers bore me. 160 IQ, lmao. Anything you'd recommend as something related to the field with a legit degree?
This is one of the silly parts of life. You are supposed to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life before you've done anything. Music engineering can be a lot of fun but I know too many guys barely making a living to give it a whole hearted recommendation. I'd give a place like Miami a shot b/c you can take the audio stuff and also explore other things. If you are that smart and that driven you could walk out with a couple of degrees in four years and a couple of Summers worth of internships.
The problem with tech schools is that they are only as valuable as what you learn b/c in AE they are meaningless in terms of getting a job. Also, b/c the admission standards are so lax that I would guess you'd feel constantly hampered by dumb questions from slower classmates.

SAE down here (Miami) is a joke. Its on the second floor of a bank building with a loud ass train passing by every three hours forcing you to stop recording until it passes. Their mics are all terrible and 80% are usually broken. I wouldn't waste my money there, I have three friends with degrees from SAE and to my knowledge none of them have gotten job placement help. Pretty Much the same goes for fullsail in Orlando, granted the studios are incredible but the 24/7 schedule tends to burn people out and in the end most people I know that have gone there do nothing with the degree. I'd say, if this is really what you want to do, come down to the University of Miami and do the audio engineering program there. You'll also need to minor in electrical and/or computer engineering or in music. UM is one of the top 5 schools in the country for AEs, It's going to be pricey but it's the real deal.