Recording College!

edit: oh yeah, and being in the university in Finland doesn't cost me anything. No tuition fees or anything. Suck on that.

Rack up $100,000 of debt from school then you'll see where I'm coming from. I don't know how you can disagree that it's a waste of money when you're going to school for free. I have 2 degrees and neither of them has anything to do with audio engineering, because I wanted to diversify in case the whole engineer biz didn't work out. On the side I do professional photography and graphic design. Between all 3 of these things I make a pretty decent living.

I've just watched several people throw away a shitload of money on an audio degree and not doing anything with it. I guess, once get again, you will get out of it what you want to get out of it, but I'd hate to watch another person make the same mistake with the ideals that they are going to get hired on some tour or by some big studio after they graduate.

I also run into people that went to this place in Ohio called The Recording Workshop that want to intern for me. I throw a cable on the ground and ask them to wrap it. They can't do it, and I think that says a lot.

that place is a joke...it's like a 6-week spin cycle course for almost $10k

that also reminds me of the engineering class i took in college...the 1st things we were taught from a hands-on perspective were how to properly wrap mic cables and screw in mic clips and shockmounts. the guy who teaches that class is actually a genius - he sets up the courses so that the 1st semester, the only piece of gear you really ever use yourself is an SM57...if you're lucky, you might get to set up some mic stands. this way, by semester II, he's weeded out all the people who are there just to fuck off, just in time to get hands-on with the API's and neumanns and shit!

I've just watched several people throw away a shitload of money on an audio degree and not doing anything with it. I guess, once get again, you will get out of it what you want to get out of it, but I'd hate to watch another person make the same mistake with the ideals that they are going to get hired on some tour or by some big studio after they graduate.

+1 and x1000

i'd put a lot of the fault in these situations on the schools, personally...they go on and on about their internship and job-placement programs, but the truth is, if you walk into any studio around, there's rarely people there who were just "hired", and i'd bet that an extremely small number of studio owners and pro engineers have any sort of formal education in the field.

if i was in my late teens/early 20's and looking into getting into this as a career, i would def. go with the electrical engineering or physics routes, and use that as a basis for audio work. fuck if you can't make $$ tracking/mixing/whatever, you can go make money building gear or writing plugins or something.

And I've been through college for a year now, and I loved the time I spent there. For those who just got in, I advise you not to write an essay and turn to ninjaessays - a service that writes you an essay for money. This way you will not spend much time on it.